Gearing up for a 1Password 64Bit only App?

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

How is 1Password for Android in terms of it being 64Bit only? IOS 11 will be 64Bit only and so will macOS X in 2018?

I have been looking at Android lately with Sailfish OS in mind. Single SIM is currently supported and 64Bit CPU. Sony has an Xperia X Compact (Single SIM) with Marshmallow installed.

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hi @wkleem. 1Password 6 for Android isn't 64-bit only, but that shouldn't be a problem. A 64-bit device should support both 64-bit and 32-bit APKs, so you should be able to run 1Password just fine. Let us know if you need anything else!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

@peri,

Thanks! I don't have an Android phone but hope to get one but rooting will void the phone's warranty or so I've been told by Sony. The good news is that Android O is coming to these phones.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, while Android suffers from a lack of updates for many devices and fragmentation as a result, one good thing which does come out of this is that the OS and apps err on the side of compatibility. 64-bit Android devices are still fairly uncommon, so I'm not sure that 32-bit support can be dropped any time soon.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I've just jumped into Android with my new Android Phone! Updating now. And now to get 1Password into it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good! I'd encourage you to follow up in the other discussion to let others know the device and whether it works well with Nexus Imprint and 1Password. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thanks! I will do that once I have set up my Phone. I bought a Sony Xperia X Compact (4.6") which is eligible for Android O but is apparently a soon to be canceled model. Sony is focusing on their Z Premium and Mid range models. The X lineup did not do well sales wise.

https://theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3010752/sony-is-axing-premium-standard-xperia-smartphones-due-to-poor-sales

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, you did mention looking at that one earlier. Hope you're enjoying it!

It's too bad if it's being discontinued, but if you're for sure going to get Android O that's a lot better than many can say and will probably get you a lot of use out of it. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thanks! @brenty. Plus I get a shot at Sailfish OS eventually which is a reason for getting this phone. Sailfish doesn't yet support any dual SIM phones but I cannot wait.

Also for anyone interested in this phone in the US, apparently Xperias X and XZs for some reason are without a fingerprint reader (doubles as power button) but a firmware enables it? You would need a UK firmware. Xperias in the UK does have fingerprint enabled Xperias.

Apologies if this has nothing to do with 1Password per se but the feature is there, just disabled.

androidauthority.com/activate-xperia-xz-fingerprint-scanner-us-720432/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think that could definitely be useful to other 1Password users who purchase an Xperia in the US and want to enable the fingerprint reader. Hopefully that doesn't void the warranty or anything though. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Is 1Password Pro needed for fingerprint unlock? I've been spoilt by iOS, free Pro features from 1Password 5.x iOS, being an upgrade to v4.x, up to the present (up to v6.8+). :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: It shouldn't be, but you should also get the Pro upgrade by signing into a 1Password.com account there. Does that help? Are you getting an error when you try to enable/use it?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I was away from wifi when I tried to sign into my 1Password.com account. I have managed to log in now but have yet to check the Pro status.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, gotcha. Be sure to let me know if you have any trouble restoring the Pro Features!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

Pro features are all there. I am confused as to how I am supposed to fill items from within Chrome as the default browser?

• peri
    Options

Hi @wkleem. For filling into Chrome and other apps on Android, we have a custom keyboard and accessibility service. If you have Android O, you can also take advantage of autofill there, if you're using our beta version.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that! I am still getting used to Android as a whole after years in the Apple ecosystem. Win Mobile was a flop.

• peri
    Options

No problem! :)

This discussion has been closed.