Updates on via Apple Store Now?!

webjive
webjive
Community Member
I read today that the only way we're going to get updates going forward is to pay again (before our upgrade period is up) via the App Store?

Comments

• Hi webjive,

This is not entirely true.

What is true is that today 1Password 3.9 was accepted into the Mac App Store. It is currently there with an introductory price that includes a free upgrade to 1Password 4. Think of it like getting 1Password 3.9 (MAS edition) for free, and 1Password 4 for 60% off. It is also true that 1Password 3.9 is Lion only, and 1Password 4 will be as well. In addition, 1Password 4 will be a MAS exclusive.

As far as I'm aware we are still updating the 3.x branch of 1Password. In fact, I had an update for it waiting for me when I woke up this morning.

Users wishing to upgrade to 1Password 4 would be wise to grab the free upgrade now, while it's available.

Ben
  • webjive
    webjive
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    While I'm not a App Store dis-liker, I'm not a fan of it either so, I think I'm going to have to pass (pardon the punn) since we just renewed a few months ago.

It's been a fun 3year ride with you guys but, LastPass has matured very well and I'll be switching.

BTW, your going to find the users in the MAS to be ruthless and un-forgiving so be prepared for that. Software with any glitch (which we have often overlooked) on the MAS gets a lot of low ratings and refund requests.

Good luck!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We'll be sad to see you go, webjive, but we are always here if you change your mind. Regarding "App Store users", I think they are just regular folks like you and me. Nearly 90% of the ratings are five stars with an average of about 4.5 stars. Pretty good for ruthless and unforgiving. :-)

Good luck to you as well! Hopefully we will see around again.
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    I have deleted the App Store on my machine. Now you tell me 1P is going MAS only. So this is where our ways part? Sad but true, I guess.

What's the benefit for developers to go MAS only? You get paid by Apple for that move? If you use your own homepage you can offer your new versions faster and with less fuzz. I don't understand this descision. But I don't understand a lot nowadays - so I'm off to freak-island, where developers choose to NOT give a third party 30% and freely decide to live their software-live in a closed source police state like environment.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law ;)

Basically the App Store offers us the ability to spend less time dealing with servers, licensing issues, writing store software, etc, and more time on creating great software. When you consider the cost of server space, CS time handling licensing issues, CS time handling sales issues, and credit card processing fees or paypal fees, the cost per transaction on the MAS is not that hard to take.

We'll be sorry to see you leave if you decide to go because of it, but we have decided that we're at least going to try being MAS-only. As I mentioned somewhere else, we had to do something, because the things I mentioned above were getting out of hand.
  • Tripp
    Tripp
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Nearly 90% of the ratings are five stars with an average of about 4.5 stars. Pretty good for ruthless and unforgiving. :-)

Most of the ones who don't like it just pull the plug. Maybe they do their complaining elsewhere.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Could be. All we can go on is what people actually communicate, whether through email, forums, App Store reviews, blog comments, or elsewhere. Anything beyond that is only speculation. :-)
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    KK, I'm off to freak-island. Happy Mac AppStoring. See you when this descision is revised.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. We really appreciate it and are taking it all into consideration. Nothing is written in stone. If things change for you (or for us) down the road, we will welcome you back with open arms.

Don't forget, though, that your current 1Password 3 license is good forever. (We still provide support for folks who use and love 1Password 2.) The non-MAS version of 1Password 3 is still fully supported going forward, and we have some great updates coming for it.

Additionally, one of the neat things about our new extensions is that they are updated independently from the main application, so updates to the extensions are immediately available to both MAS and non-MAS users. :-)
  • gilescooperuk
    gilescooperuk
    Community Member
    If 1password is going app store only, what happens to all the incremental updates as I get all the beta builds as well?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    That is a good question. We have some ideas, but nothing has been decided yet. We will keep you posted. :-D
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    Now I appreciate the sparkle framework more than ever. I realize I'm stuck with 3.5.13 for my Leopard G5 machine as you are no longer developing a universal app. I'm running 3.8.5 on my Snow Leopard (MBP) machine, however -- will that continue to have upgrades as required?
  • I can say for sure that in the immediate future (read: the next few weeks) we will have some updates for the 3.8.x line. Some of the features that were added to 3.9, such as full screen mode, will be added to 3.8.x. Beyond that, we'll definitely continue to update the browser extensions and fix any issues with Safari 5.1, Firefox 6, and the current version of Chrome. I don't know of any other planned updates, but that could certainly change. Look at the 3.5.x line... we went back and added support for Firefox though we said we weren't planning on doing so.
This discussion has been closed.