version 4.6.2.625 spams notification area with 1password icons

mk7989
mk7989
Community Member
edited August 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

After the last update I keep getting up to 6 or so 1password icons spammed in the notification area of windows over time. They disappear when I hover over them.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.625
Extension Version: 4.6.9 (Firefox 55.0.1 64bit)
OS Version: win10pro 64bit build 15063.540
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mk7989: Interesting. I can't say I've seen that before. You probably don't have multiple copies of the app installed, but please check just to be sure. And I'd look in Task Manager (Ctrl Shift Esc) to see if you have more than one listing for 1Password in your startup items. Also, right-clicking there to select "Taskbar settings" and "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" to see if you've got multiple 1Password icons there as well. Let me know what you find!

• mk7989
    mk7989
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

I figured out the how - every time I start Firefox, another padlock appears in the notification area

I don't have multiple copies installed. Only once instance under startup. Only '1password' and '1password.nativemessaginghost' processes are running as far as I can tell. Only one 1password entry under "Select which icons appear on the taskbar"

• Hey @mk7989! I just tried to reproduce this with Firefox and can't seem to get more than one icon myself. That said, I see what I believe is an anti-virus program icon in your notification area screenshot and there's always a chance these can interfere with one or more components of 1Password causing unexpected behavior. This is less common with native messaging, but since you mentioned only 1Password and the native messaging host running and not 1Password agent (aka 1Password helper), I do think something may be going a bit awry. Before we go digging too deep, something to try to test my suspicions:

1. Temporarily disable your AV software.
    2. Exit and restart 1Password and close all browsers.
    3. Try reproducing this issue again.

Let me know what you find out. If it disappears after disabling your AV, let me know, re-enable your AV, and we'll take a look at some logs to figure out what needs to be done to fix it. :chuffed:

• mk7989
    mk7989
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

I took the easy way out (for me) and re-installed 1password. The issue is gone. I still don't see a third process, the agent/helper (?) when I look at what processes are running.

I don't know why I only thought to try that now...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's great! Thanks for letting us know that helped. Just to clarify, in Windows 10 Task Manager the "Helper" (Agile1PAgent.exe) will show up as "1Password (32-bit)". I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• mk7989
    mk7989
    Community Member

It returned for one session just now.

I logged out to try bundtkate's suggestion with my admin account (Norton Security denies settings access for users) and noticed it did not occur even without touching my AV. During the testing I didn't alter Firefox settings in any way so nothing should have changed.

I logged in with my regular user and sure enough (because I don't know why) it did not occur this session.

Because I haven't noticed any actual issues it's just an annoyance, but would be great to figure out...

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mk7989,

Did you notice a "1Password (32-bit)" process in Task Manager, when it happened?

• mk7989
    mk7989
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Happening again.

these two are running:
    Agile1pAgent.exe
    1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe

Firefox now v55.0.2

I disabled every extension aside from the 1password one and it's still going on.

• Hey @mk7989! With something intermittent like this, it's often difficult to pinpoint what might be causing the problem. That said, I do very occasionally notice one extra icon with 1Password 6 and Firefox, usually right after Firefox updates (which will result in the extension disabling temporarily). Although this is a) 1Password 6 and b) only one extra icon as far as I've noticed, it's worth asking: have you noticed this seems to pop up around the time your browser is updating? Does it persist if you restart Firefox?

• mk7989
    mk7989
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Last update was whenever 55.0.2 was released and happens when I launch Firefox normally, not after updating (although it might happen then as well). It's pretty persistent now, as In, I don't recall it not happening the past few days. Only immediately after the 1password reinstall did it stop.

I played around some more and discovered that both processes (Agile1pAgent.exe, 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe) close whenever I close firefox, as does the "real" padlock (when I hover over them).

When I launch Firefox they both appear (as does a functioning padlock).

• @mk7989: I'd still like to check the effect of disabling Norton. We've run into some issue of late with AVs locking down files and, while we haven't seen it with Norton just yet, I'd like to rule it out. This sounds like it could be a third-party program preventing one or more 1Password processes from properly quitting when you close Firefox and is at least worth a test. Let me know if you see any change with Norton disabled and we'll keep digging from there. :+1:

• mk7989
    mk7989
    Community Member

I'm back :'(
    Took a bit of doing, but I uninstalled Norton Security and used my PC without it for a few days. The problem is still present.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mk7989: Sorry to hear that. Just to clarify, 1Password won't be able to clear extra icons from the notification area. This is handled exclusively by Windows, and it is not super diligent about doing so. Generally "zombie" notification icons for any app requires a mouseover for Windows to say "Oh, hey, that's not even running anymore!" and get rid of it —especially those that are hidden under the ^. That can't be helped.

I'll be happy to take a look to see if there's a clue as to why 1Password is being killed and having to relaunch multiple times (hence the extra icons), but ultimately we can't have it both ways: if the notification icon option is enabled (in Preferences > General), Windows will add it each time 1Password is launched. You can always disable that though if you're hiding it anyway and it's driving you crazy.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart Windows, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to see if we can ascertain what's causing this:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#WFX-72931-745]

If you’re reading this and you are not mk7989, this Support ID is for mk7989 only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. I can't promise that I'll be able to see the cause, but I'm happy to take a look. Thanks in advance!

ref: WFX-72931-745

• Funcrusher
    Funcrusher
    Community Member

I'm having this issue as well and have submitted a diagnostic report for troubleshooting.

• @Funcrusher: Could you share your Support ID here? This will help us find your diagnostics. Thanks! :chuffed:

• Funcrusher
    Funcrusher
    Community Member

[#AJX-71731-234] is what I received from the automated reply.

• bundtkate
    edited October 2017

@Funcrusher: Found it, thanks! I'll make sure I take a peek and get back with you via e-mail today. :chuffed:

ref: AJX-71731-234

This discussion has been closed.