IPassword Not Working in Firefox

Options

Do no know what I have done, but clicking on the 1Password icon at the top of the browser returns a no response.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @webdevtim! We have made some recent changes to how the 1Password extension communicates with the main app in Firefox, so it's quite possible you've done nothing at all and will just need to make a few tweaks. Without some basic information, however, it's tough to determine what those tweaks might be. Could you let me know what version of 1Password and the extension you're using? This will help us figure out what might be going on so we can give you some things to try. :+1:

Thanks!

• xoc
    xoc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! I'm having the same problem. The usual icon can no longer be clicked on.

I'm currently on Windows 7 with Firefox 50.0.1. Up until now I'd been using 1Pass 4 with FF add-on version 4.6.9.
    I just (today) updated to 1P version 6.7.457 and add-on version 4.6.10.1.

I've searched the Firefox add-ons site, and 1Password doesn't show up.

HEEEYYYLPPP!

• stwainer
    stwainer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi!

I'm having the same issue. Password1 version 4.6.2.625 and Firefox version 54.0.1 32-bit. Windows 7, fully patched.

Help!

• stwainer
    stwainer
    Community Member
    Options

Winner! Saw this in another thread:

Logon to 1Password and go to:

In the menu Help > Advanced is
    Use WebSocket protocol enabled or is Use Native Messaging protocol enabled. It needs to be the latter rather than the former.

and after having switched to native messaging protocol, everything is fine again with the plug-in version 4.6.9!

• Hey @stwainer! I'm glad you've managed to sort this out. :+1:

@xoc: Have you confirmed that Use Native Messaging protocol is checked in Help > Advanced? Also, on Windows 7, you may need to install a later version of .NET framework. Specifically, you'll need 4.6.1 which can be found here. Give these two things a try and let me know if it resolves your problem. :chuffed:

• xoc
    xoc
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure where this Help is. In my profile on the website, all I see is "Help & Support", and that just takes me to Account Management. In the standalone program, the closest thing is "Options", and there's (literally!) no help there.

Could you clarify "logon to 1Password"? Does that mean 1Password.com? or the desktop program? or the browser plugin? If it means the browser plug-in, that's a problem, haha.

• @xoc: That's my bad, I just saw that you mentioned updating to 1Password 6 and this thread was largely covering 1Password 4. In the 1Password 6 desktop app, the option to enable native messaging will be in Settings (cog wheel) > Options > Advanced. You'll see check boxes for both Chrome and Firefox so make sure they're both checked. The point about .NET framework will likely not apply as 1Password 6 should have already prompted you to install the correct version if you didn't have it already. My apologies for the confusion! Give the native messaging options a gander and let me know what you find out. :+1:

• xoc
    xoc
    Community Member
    Options

AH! I was right in the middle of taking screenshots to use as visual aids in a long-winded rebuttal, and suddenly: There is an update available. (Did you do that?)
    And there it was! The solution. Awesome, excellent, thank you for putting up with my frustration, and for being a sweet support technician.

• @xoc I wouldn't have done that to you, that would be mean! :wink: I'm glad you're up and running again! For future reference, if you so much as suspect there might be an update, you can always check manually if 1Password isn't automatically delivering you new goodies fast enough. Go to Settings (cog wheel) > Options > Updates and click the Check for Updates button. And, of course, do let us know if we can do anything else to help. :+1:

• dspubl
    dspubl
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to stwainer, this fix definitely was the winner for the greyed-out/nonworking button issue on Windows 10-64:
    Logon to 1Password desktop application
    In menu Help > Advanced make sure Use Native Messaging protocol is enabled

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear that helped! :)

Sorry for the hiccup there! Most folks won’t notice, but a fairly large change has happened with 1Password to support browser integration going forward behind the scenes, so if anyone else runs into trouble, just be sure to be on the latest version of 1Password, the browser, and extension for all of them to be compatible with each other. So just install the latest browser, 1Password, and extension releases so they can all talk to each other:

https://firefox.com
    https://1password.com/downloads/
    https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

That should do the trick, but we're here if you encounter any further issues! :)

This discussion has been closed.