To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

export without master password

Options
hkokko
hkokko
Community Member

I have an issue. I have a hard disk problem on my iMac. I have 1password on my iPad, iPhone, laptop and iMac. I have forgotten my master password and unfortunately wrote it wrong in the place where I stored it but I can access 1password on all of those except iMac by using touch password or my old password (which is not the master password). So I can access all of my password, license numbers etc etc in each of those other devices. I cannot change my master password as I do not know it...

I would like to export all 1000+ passwords, license keys etc from my 1password on my laptop (MacBook pro). Now 1Password requires me to enter master password for exporting all of those at the same time. I can export one at a time on my MacBook Pro... This is extremely tedious. I would like to export all of them to be able to create anew the vault for the iMac.

This is relatively awkward that master password is required for the mass export. I HAVE already access to all of the passwords, license keys etc and now the program forces me to export them one at a time.

What to do to get the export done...

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: latest plus iPad latest
Sync Type: 1password.com
Referrer: forum-search:export without master password

Comments

• hkokko
    hkokko
    Community Member
    Options

This is 6.8 (the very latest)

• Frank
    Options

Hi @hkokko - Sorry about the Master Password issue. If you have a 1Password.com account, I would recommend signing up for a new account. After you create the new account, add the new 1Password.com account to your 1Password apps you can access. Once the new account has been added, you can then move your existing data over to the new account within the apps. After you're up and running on the new account, I'll email you directly so we can eliminate the original account. Keep me posted with any questions and I hope this helped. :+1:

• hkokko
    hkokko
    Community Member
    Options

Did this - iPad Pro has been converting my 1118 items and 14 folders in converting folders step on a very fast internet connection for several hours now... How long should it take...

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This definitely shouldn't take that long @hkokko. If you login to your new account in a browser, do you see your transferred items there?

• hkokko
    hkokko
    Community Member
    Options

Nope

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ok, then I would recommend giving this another try. Quit the iOS app even if it's still running and launch it again, then try moving your items once more. Also, if possible, I would recommend doing this from your Mac if you can, looking at the number of items we are dealing with.

If you absolutely want to do this from your iPad, perhaps moving the data in smaller chunks could be a good idea.

• hkokko
    hkokko
    Community Member
    Options

Argh. I want to be ABSOLUTELY sure I do not lose the access to my 1Password items on my "old central account". See the original note from above. iPad Pro has access to the items that I want to move. It has the access to my "central" old account. I was advised to do the steps on august 14 to get my items exported to another account so I think I cannot do it from my Mac.

By the way: 1000 items is nothing in the current world - so it should not take any time at all to do with the power of iPad Pro....

• hkokko
    hkokko
    Community Member
    Options

hmm. I quit the iOS app. launched it again. I see 49 items out of 1000 in the Mac side - so some syncing seemed to have happened. How do I get it to sync the rest...

• @hkokko Thanks for letting us know. It sounds like 1Password for iOS is having some trouble migrating your data, so let's use the Mac app instead. Since a few items have already been moved your account, open 1Password on your Mac and remove the items in your account. Select them by switching to the vault, then pressing Command-A on your keyboard to select them all, and pressing delete on your keyboard. Once you move them to the Trash, try migrating things from your old vault one more time by clicking Help > Tools > Migrate Primary Vault to Account.

Let us know how that goes! :)

• hkokko
    hkokko
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Back from travels. Now I have done as requested. I have two accounts on my Mac the old one (hkokko) Personal and shared and a new one (Hannu Kokko) with vault Personal. They seem to have the same data. The new one is frozen already. How do I now get the new one (Hannu Kokko Personal) to be shareable (WITHOUT losing the Old one hkokko Personal until I am sure that new one shared would work

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hkokko: What do you mean by "shareable"? It isn't possible to share a Personal or Private vault with anyone. This is only accessible to you. You can mover copy data to another vault from there, but that won't be possible if the destination is frozen: that will be read-only.

• hkokko
    hkokko
    Community Member
    Options

I mean - I would like it to be shareable across my devices (like the previous one was) - just a normal vault in the cloud so I can have the same passwords in all my devices for myself.

The original problem was - I lost my master password to the cloud. I had access to my individual private vault so the recommendation was to create a new account somehow connected to the original one - I did that. . I want to get the account to work like it used. See my very first post. that is what I want to accomplish. See your teams answers earlier.

So the result should be:

The passwords I managed to copy to the new personal vault on my Mac - usable across all my devices - just by me - like it used to be.

Current situation is: I have the "old" account which I do not have "internet" access to from my old devices. I have my "new account" which seems to have only exists on my Mac.

Wanted situation:
    I want to have the new account accessible from my other devices. After I am sure it works - the old account can be deleted.

What are the exact steps to do that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hkokko: Ah, thank you. Sorry for misunderstanding! Any data you store in your 1Password.com account can be accessed on any devices where you sign into that account:

https://support.1password.com/add-device/

if you sign into the 1Password.com account — the one you want to keep — in your web browser, do you see all of your data there? If not, you can move your data there from another vault using 1Password for iOS or Mac:

https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/

If you're still having trouble, be specific about where you currently have your data (OS, 1Password, and device version) and I can give more detailed instructions. Thanks in advance!

• hkokko
    hkokko
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

hmm. original account on Mac 2200. the new (wanted) account has 2200 passwords visible approx on Mac. Only 49 are visible in the new out of 2200 in the web. For what it's worth: Mac is online and connected to internet every day etc so what is the issue here...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hkokko: The only way you'll get data from one account to the other is by moving (or copying) it there, as I suggested above. Did you try that? For example, it sounds like you'd need to do this:

1. Sign into both accounts in the 1Password app
    2. Move (or copy) data from "original account" to "new account"
    3. Sign out of "original account"

Then you'll be able to access everything in "new account". Does that help?

• hkokko
    hkokko
    Community Member
    Options

This is what I did sometime ago.

computer A (Mac) - "local" account with 1password app (as I cannot log into the web version). has 2200 passwords...

computer A - copy all things to "new" account. has 2200 passwords now also

How would I sign out of "local" account - which menu, cannot find such an option...

Went and took a look on computer B

computer B - tried to log into web 1password with "new" account. Has 49 passwords in the "new" account. So does not have the 2200 from the "new" account on computer A.

In addition: now that the trial version for "new" account is "frozen" tried to subscribe to it from the 1password. No luck from either of the buttons available to subscribe.

Starting to be an unhappy camper...

• hkokko
    hkokko
    Community Member
    Options

Managed to sort this out by creating a new account and copying to that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear my suggestion helped! And if you need any assistance removing the unwanted account(s), shoot us an email at support@1password.com from the registered address and we'll help you get that sorted. :)

This discussion has been closed.