I changed my Secret Key and Master Password but cannot change it in 1Password for Mac. Can you help?

Options
ben_cen
ben_cen
Community Member

I changed my Secret Key and Master Password and so need to update 1Password for Mac on my MacBook Pro running Sierra. Unfortunately, I have forgotten the Master Password to my previous Secret Key, and the Mac app will not let me add or delete an account (+ & i are grey). I have uninstalled and re-installed 1Password for Mac a few times hoping that might fix it but it didn't How can I fix this?

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:change account

Comments

• rickfillion
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi @ben_cen,

I'm sorry to hear that you're in this situation. It's been on my wishlist for a long time to provide a way for you to re-authenticate while the app is locked. We handle it for the Change Master Password case, but not for a changed secret key.

To get around this, you'll need to reset all of the 1Password data on the Mac then re-signin with your account. To do this (with 1Password locked), you can use the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data... menu item. It'll ask you to confirm then it'll quit the app. You can restart it and sign in again.

I hope this helps

Rick

• ben_cen
    ben_cen
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect! Thanks so much, that did it!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update! If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.