Don't auto-submit if ReCAPTCHA visible

Howdy!

Would it be possible for the browser extensions to notice when a ReCAPTCHA is being used and not auto-submit the form?

I realize I can set this flag on a per-item basis, but this is annoying because 1) It's more manual work, and 2) Some sites only intermittently display a ReCAPTCHA, it would be nice for auto-login to work seamlessly when the ReCAPTCHA is not presented.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Don't auto-submit if ReCAPTCHA visible

Comments

• Hey @TheDave! I definitely get where you're coming from, especially with intermittent CAPTCHAs, but since CAPTCHAs are specifically designed to avoid recognition by bots, I'm not entirely certain this is possible. Although 1Password is more than a mere bot, to be sure, it behaves in a similar manner by automatically filling and submitting forms for you, which is exactly what CAPTCHAs are designed to prevent. In addition, not all CAPTCHAs are created equal (the ones where you have to click photos with signs and whatnot in them are particularly horrid, in my opinion), so recognizing they exist on the page may be more difficult than it looks like at first glance. All the same, I'd be happy to pass your feedback along to our team. :+1:

Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts! :chuffed:

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

I'm not suggesting automatically clicking/interacting with it, that would be difficult. But for ReCAPTCHA specifically, you could check if any JavaScript resources were loaded from https://www.google.com/recaptcha/

There may be a few other common URLs, especially for the older versions of CAPTCHA provided by Google.

Not every implementation will be detectable, but the vast vast majority I encounter on the web today seem to use Google's resources and it should be fairly trivial to detect if it exists at all on any particular page.

• Oh, absolutely, @TheDave, I get what you're saying and I'm certainly not saying it's impossible. On the contrary, I learned early on that I'm wrong as often as not about how easy or hard adding any given feature may be. I'm just cautious about making promises by nature and would much rather be wrong when I say something can't be done than be wrong when I say it can. :wink:

• toobulkeh
    toobulkeh
    Community Member

+1 for this feature. Gusto just implemented it.
    I just want to turn off 1password's "auto-submit".

I found that clicking CAPTCHA first works, but I often forget this and mess it up a few times before getting it right.

Enough of a nuisance to come here and post about it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. I can see how that would be annoying. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't encounter these often myself, but we'll see if there's something we can do to help. :)

• jdpierce21
    jdpierce21
    Community Member

+1 for this feature a well. It's annoying having to complete the CAPTCHA, but since we have to (it seems to be happening more frequently now) it would be nice for 1Password to not auto submit the login form.

• MikeT
    edited September 2017

Thanks for the vote!

This will have to be handled by our extension team as this is an issue on other platforms as well.

ref: OPX-402

• cat_shroedinger
    cat_shroedinger
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Related:
    When editing details in 1Password desktop app (Win10) for a certain web site, I noticed in the "Web Form Details" section a cptch_number field that 1Password will try to fill.
    Is there a way to remove that? I like to fill in the Captcha first (it has a short timeout value), then use 1Password to fill in username/pwd.
    Currently, 1Password tries to fill in the Captcha value, and always gets it wrong (obviously...)
    Thanks.

• Hi @cat_shroedinger,

Thanks for writing in.

Not at the moment, the web form details aren't meant to be editable but we will add support for this in a future update.

This discussion has been closed.