To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Trouble creating my Emergency Kit

Options
krswitky
krswitky
Community Member

Hi - I am a longtime 1P for Mac user, and love it. I bought the app through the AgileBits store years ago. I have my license key, but don't seem to have a 1P account. When I follow the instructions here for creating my Emergency Kit, I'm prompted to sign in to my 1P account.

Do I have to create a 1P account to compete this process? If I create an account, will it affect how 1P works on other browsers and other devices?

Thanks,
Kathy

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @krswitky

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Emergency Kits are unique to 1Password memberships as much of the information contained on an Emergency Kit is specific to membership (e.x. sign-in address and Secret Key, which standalone installations do not have).

You can read about the benefits of a membership here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

And you can learn about how to migrate from your standalone set up to a membership, if you wish:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If I create an account, will it affect how 1P works on other browsers and other devices?

The apps and browser extensions are the same with the subscription membership as with standalone installations, but you get access to the latest versions of all of them included as part of your subscription.

Ben

• krswitky
    krswitky
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben. If I don't upgrade to a membership, is there any way to let someone else access 1P info in the event I am hit by a truck?

• Ben
    Options

@krswitky

You could leave your Master Password as well as any other required info (e.x. your device password) in/with your will. I'm not sure that is advisable, but it would seemingly be one possible solution.

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

@krswitky There's a user who has created a PDF form for your need: https://productivityist.com/1password-emergency-kit-3/
    As you can see, there are a lot of variables to fill so it's definitely more complicated than having a 1Password.com account and have it created for you, but it's something :)

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for sharing that @Manaburner! :chuffed:

@krswitky, one further addendum to Ben's feedback - in some countries, Wills become public documents, so you may want to check the legislation in your own country before putting your master password and device password details directly in the text of the Will. You may instead want to place the details (or Emergency Kit) in a sealed envelope, and bequeath that envelope to someone in the Will instead - that way, any public record will merely mention the envelope, and not the details themselves.

This discussion has been closed.