password clobbered even though I hit "cancel" and then "don't save"

Options
JimmyTheSaint
JimmyTheSaint
Community Member

On my two OS X updated Sierra MacBooks, when I edit an existing password, type over the data in the existing password field, and then hit "cancel" because I want to back out the change, and then hit "Don't Save," 1Password still saves the change. This has caused me to permanently lose a password that has now become a major effort to get that merchant to generate a new one for me. Am I right that backing out of an edit via "cancel" and "Don't Save" should not overwrite the password, and if it does, that's a rather serious bug?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8 (680015) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @JimmyTheSaint,

You're right that backing out of an edit via Cancel/Don't Save shouldn't overwrite the password. I just tried it here both on 1Password.com vaults and standalone vaults and I wasn't able to reproduce the issue. I'm not saying that there isn't a bug here, just that I wasn't able to see it with my testing.

Had it saved your new (bad) password, it should also have put the old password under the Previously Used Passwords list, which is accessible by clicking on the "show previously used passwords" button. Did it not do that?

Do you think you could try reproducing this error in a new test item and telling me if you're able to get it to misbehave on command? If so I'd love the exact series of steps (or ideally even a video) so that we can get this fixed up.

Rick

• JimmyTheSaint
    JimmyTheSaint
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I had never noticed the previously used passwords button before. Yes, the old password is there. thanks.

But I'm able to reproduce this error on every single attempt on my early 2013 MacBook Retina and my 2016 MacBook 12".

• rudy
    Options

@JimmyTheSaint,

I suspect you're running into an issue that I fixed in 6.8.1 that didn't refresh the detail view when cancelling/don't save. If you want to try this out there you can turn on the beta checkbox on the Updates tab in the preferences window and then click check now to install the latest update.

Rudy

• JimmyTheSaint
    JimmyTheSaint
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, joining the beta channel and updating fixes the problem. But it's not my preference to join the beta channel for life.

• rudy
    Options

@JimmyTheSaint,

Thanks for the confirmation, if you uncheck the box the next update you get will be 6.8.1.

Thanks again!

Rudy

• JimmyTheSaint
    JimmyTheSaint
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks.

• Thanks for testing that out for us, @JimmyTheSaint.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.