I'm getting this error in Windows 10 and can't seem to fix it on my own (yet)

Options

I've tried uninstalling and deleting all files and folders associated with the 1Password app and then re-installing but am still getting it. It will come up a few times a day after it first occurs. I've also tried ending the process that is holding on to that file but it's a system level process so it won't let me (probably for the best). It's not a big deal but from what I can tell it would keep me from being able to install the latest version when it was released.

Cheers,
Benjamin

1Password Version: 6.7.454
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 build 15063.540
Sync Type: 1Password Sync

Comments

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

@benjaminherrin - I've also been having this problem with 1Password 6 updates, and created a previous thread in the beta forum about it.

It makes me wonder if our Window's installations, and the apps we use, have anything in common? On my own system, I've tried disabling all non-microsoft services (including my Kaspersky antivirus), disabling indexing and startup processes but to no avail.

The only workaround I've found that works is to enable the "Automatically update when app is locked" option in 1Password, and let the background updater do its thing.

• Hey @benjaminherrin! As @pbryanw mentioned, this is a bit of a tricky thing to diagnose. The process locking the file could be anything: your AV, a backup tool, system update process, etc. The only suggestion we can offer is excluding 1Password from all the tools you have where possible. There's no need to back up the app folder, so you can safely exclude %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app folder from being backed up if you use any backup utilities. If you do have an AV you use on this PC, disabling it, rebooting and then trying the update can also help. If you are able to determine what program is locking the file, please do let us know so we can reach out to the vendor to improve compatibility. Of course, if there's anything else we can do to help, let us know. :chuffed:

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi, sorry for resurrecting this old thread. I had previously been getting around this problem by installing 1Password 6 in a different directory, using the command:
    1PasswordSetup-6.7.x /DIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password\app"

However, I've heard this can cause problems for 1Password, so I've just installed it back in %appdata% - at which point the code 32 update error came back. However, if you right-click on 1Password 6 in the Windows start menu, select More -> Run as administrator and run the update, it will complete successfully The only issue with this, is that the taskbar icon disappears and a restart is needed.

I'm leaning towards Macrium Reflect causing this problem (which has introduced a new feature which monitors your file-system in the background) - however, I can't say for sure. This workaround though, in conjunction with updating in the background, will work for me for the time being, until I find the true culprit :+1:

• @pbryanw: I will never complain about old threads being resurrected with helpful info -- thanks for sharing your findings! I do know that we've run into problems with programs that monitor your filesystem generally, so that's not an unreasonable guess. I'm glad you've identified a workable solution for now and please feel free to resurrect this thread again if you learn more down the road. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.