Selecting categories with a Wacom device does nothing [under investigation, likely caused by .NET]

Options
fakepilot
fakepilot
Community Member
edited August 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

My 1Password version 6.7.457 on Windows 10 Pro does not work very well.
Clicking Categories something does not do anything, so I cannot find my different passwords.

When I click on them, the passwords does not update. It still shows the old ones, in the previous category.
I think this happens specifically when I edit a password and then hit save. All of a sudden, it no longer updates on category clicks.

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:clicking categories does nothing

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fakepilot: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! I'm not seeing the behaviour you're describing, as I seem to be able to select any category in 1Password to view the items there. Can you tell me the exact steps you're taking and what's happening (or not) as a result? Could you please clarify what you're seeing? Perhaps a screenshot would help. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• fakepilot
    fakepilot
    Community Member
    Options

Ahh, now I see. Figured it out. It only happens when your using a Wacom tablet on PC.
    Clicking different categories with Wacom and nothing happens. Click with a mouse, it changes category.
    Can you try it? I have a Wacom Pro - paper version. Latest drivers to date.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fakepilot: Thanks for letting me know! That's really interesting. I wonder why. I don't have a Wacom device to test with and I'm not sure anyone else here does either. Are you completely up to date with Windows 10? There was a bug with .Net Framework 4.7 not long ago that caused some other problems with pen input. This was fixed by Microsoft there last month I believe, but they haven't yet issues fixes for earlier versions of Windows last I checked. Could be completely unrelated, but it wouldn't be surprising as 1Password 6 depends on .Net.

• fakepilot
    fakepilot
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Yes. My updates are up to date, latest. But not on Creators Windows Update.
    Can't see if I have .NET Framework 4.7 or not.

• @fakepilot: I do believe you need Creators Update to have the .NET fix. Could you right-click the Start button, select Run, type winver into the run dialogue and press Enter? This will display a pop-up with your Windows version included. As an example, mine says Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.540). Let us know what you see there and we can determine if you have the .NET update brenty is referring to. :chuffed:

• fakepilot
    fakepilot
    Community Member
    Options

Aha! Mine actually says the same as yours. Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.540). It must have been upgraded when I got it, it's a new PC. Then the bug is there even after the latest...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fakepilot: Just to clarify, I can't say for certain that this is he same thing, only that there was a pen input issue in .Net 4.7 which shipped with the Creators Update. The fix for that particular issue was in a rollup in Windows Update, so make sure you're up to date there to rule that out. It's possible there's some other issue which is also pen-related but not addressed by that though. Are you able to get the latest drivers from Wacom's site? I'm sorry I don't have anything definitive to tell you, as it's not something I can test myself. :(

• fakepilot
    fakepilot
    Community Member
    Options

I have now updated to Creators Update Win 10 on two of my desktop PC computers. None of them works with Wacom tablets. Please fix this? 1Password is almost unusable. You could tell your boss to buy a Wacom tablet and test with. I mean, artist do count as valuable customers too right? :-)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fakepilo: Thank you for getting back to us! :+1:

In order to fix the issue, we need to diagnose it first. Am I right to understand that clicking on different categories is the only issue with Wacom tablet? The rest of the app works correctly? Please let us know.

Cheers,
    Greg

• fakepilot
    fakepilot
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg

The rest of the app works correctly. I can start using a mouse when it stops working for Wacom. The the categories works again. But when clicking with Wacom, nothing happens.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @fakepilot,

Unfortunately, that is likely one of the many regressions caused by the .NET 4.7 upgrade that Microsoft has bundled into the latest Windows 10 updates but still has not fixed fully. The fix that @bundtkate and @brenty mentioned was to prevent .NET-based apps like 1Password from crashing when connecting a tablet. However, there are still various problems as Microsoft is trying to fix that is currently being tested in .NET 4.7 monthly previews. It is likely they'll fix this in .NET 4.7.1 update but we don't know when that is coming.

Windows 7/8 users see the same problem in various .NET apps including 1Password 6 the moment they've installed .NET 4.7 but the problem disappears when they downgrade to .NET 4.6.2, which Windows 10 users unfortunately cannot do. This is not something we can fix by ourselves, especially since it affects various apps that uses .NET, including Visual Studio, Microsoft's own product. Microsoft has to address it properly and they're working on it.

For now, try uninstalling Wacom drivers to revert to Windows' drivers for it, it may work better.

• fakepilot
    fakepilot
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @MikeT,

Appreciate the explanation. Windows ... can't live with it, can't live without it? Was forced away from Mac because Apple's anti-pro hardware moves lately (only going with AMD, not Nvidia). ;) I cannot work without Wacom settings, I use different settings for different apps. Hehe. Pro user ... or should I say, one of those "Creators". :p Windows 10 Creators Update. At least they updated Paint with 3D, jay! :chuffed:

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @fakepilot,

No comment, they both have pros and cons. Apple's support for eGPUs is a great compromise if nVidia GPUs will be supported.

As for Wacom, one thing you can try is disabling the .NET's stylus support in the 1Password's app config file. For this workaround, please email us at support+windows@agilebits.com with a link to this thread and your forum username, so we can connect the dots.

Let us know here when you sent the email, so we can confirm we got the email.

• fakepilot
    fakepilot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Sent it!

• @fakepilot: Did you send the e-mail from a different e-mail address? I'm not finding it in our system so I want to make sure I'm looking for the right e-mail address before I ask someone to dig through the spam queue. If you did send it from a different e-mail, no need to share that e-mail here, just drop the support ID you were sent by our auto-responder and we can find it that way. :+1:

• fakepilot
    fakepilot
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

@bundtkate no, actually sent from my email [Removed by AgileBits]

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @fakepilot,

I've removed your email address to help you maintain some anonymity around here, but I can confirm I do not see a request from it. It's possible it was grabbed up by one of our spam filters, which @bundtkate can check on in the morning.

If you're willing, it might just be easier to just resend your email to support+windows@agilebits.com, but this time add [#YSP-98582-962] (including the square brackets) to the subject line before sending it. This will ensure we can find it and hopefully prevent any SPAM filters along the way.

Thanks for your patience!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• bundtkate
    edited September 2017
    Options

@fakepilot: Worked this time and I found your e-mail! I'll pass it along to Mike. :+1:

ref: YSP-98582-962

• fakepilot
    fakepilot
    Community Member
    Options

The work-around you guys provided no longer works?
    Using a Wacom pen on Windows in 1Password does not work.
    I'm now on Windows 10 Pro Creators Fall Update...

• Hi @fakepilot,

Thanks for writing back.

Did you try the same instructions with the same file that I sent you? 1Password updates can overwrite the app setting files, so you have to manually restore the patched file after each update.

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update has inserted .NET 4.7.1 update which does not have a fix for this PenIMC crasher, so we still have to wait on Microsoft to fix this.

• fakepilot
    fakepilot
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I did every step in that email. Does not work anymore.
    From a non-programmer and paying customer perspective, I can only take notice that no other Windows software have this problem?
    Appreciate the help from this forum. Which makes me sorry to say, but it feels like a bad excuse, saying it's impossible to fix.

• MikeT
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi @fakepilot,

No, we are not the only one affected. Here's an example of one of Microsoft's biggest software that still hasn't been fixed, read the comments that shows even on Fall Creators Update, Microsoft's workaround didn't work either like the one I sent you. Any app that uses .NET 4.x and WPF are affected, Microsoft did confirm this in several releases already. Here's one issue reported to Microsoft by a different developer.

Here's another attempt from Microsoft to fix the issue on older Windows 10 build last month suggesting it is not fully fixed after installing the October 2017 monthly update: October release notes. There were similar notes for Sept, August, going back to July.

1Password 6 runs on top of WPF + .NET provided by Microsoft, we can't fix their code but we can provide some workarounds. In this case, we may have to consider disabling pen/stylus support entirely in 1Password to avoid this issue, which also means scrolling will be impacted. The number of crashes we're seeing from this is not that large, not many folks have pen/stylus on their device. Do we worsen the experience for everyone to avoid crashing on a few machines? We'll try to get in touch with Microsoft to see if there is any other option.

Windows 7 and 8 users have no issues with 1Password as long as they remain with .NET 4.6.2. The bad news is that Windows 10 doesn't let you downgrade .NET.

• MikeT
    edited November 2017
    Options

For now, we'd like to get your most recent crashes to see if we can send it to Microsoft to investigate. Can you email me the last crash report in the previous ticket? Here's how to find them: https://support.1password.com/cs/windows-crash-report/

• Here's another one with the latest update from Microsoft's WPF team saying this on Oct 13:

We are aware of this issue and are fixing it in a future version of .NET.

There is also a related issue that is being released in a servicing fix that will drastically reduce the possibility of hitting this problem. This will be serviced relatively soon.

• Hi @fakepilot,

MS is now suggesting to disable the touch interface to work around this issue on Fall Creators Update:

Open Computer Management (compmgmt.msc).
    Under "System Tools", select "Device Manager".
    Expand "Human Interface Devices".
    Right-click "HID-compliant touch screen", and select "Disable".
    Reboot your computer.

• fakepilot
    fakepilot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT, but that option does not exist on my computer?

I have:
    HID-compliant consumer control device (x2)
    ...digitizer (x2)
    ...headset
    ...pen
    ...vendor-defined device (x4)
    USB Input Device (x5)
    Wacom Tablet (x2)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fakepilot: Your guess is probably better than mine then, since it's your setup. But I'd gravitate toward "pen" or "digitizer". Seems odd that there would be so many though.

• Latest update from MS on Dec 5th:

The root cause for this long standing crash is deep in the Windows layer. Work is happening at different platform layers to fix the root cause and to harden against such issues. We want to get the fix right. Testing to make sure the issue is addressed in its entirety is still ongoing.

This discussion has been closed.