To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1password account vs iCloud

Options
chiaras1
chiaras1
Community Member

Hi guys,
I've been using 1password for Mac and my os devices for ages, syncing all my data through iCloud, which I love it and no problems so far.
I decided to try 1password account and I was wondering if it's better (security wise) iCloud or 1password account.
I'm a bit scared of the whole "you can access to your data from anywhere..." even though I think it's great.
Could you please help me?
PS Can I use iCloud sync and 1password account sync at the same time with my primary vault?
Thank you very much!
Chiara

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Frank
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi @chiaras1 - Great questions and congrats on the new 1Password membership :smile: Prior to signing up for the 1Password.com account, your data was being synced via iCloud and your Master Password is used to encrypt your data. With a 1Password membership, we take things a step further... Your Secret Key that was randomly generated during the sign up process is used in conjunction with your Master Password to encrypt your data. Both keys are needed to decrypt your 1Password data. By design, we don't store Secret Keys or Master Passwords since it would compromise the security of our users. We don't want anyone to have access to the keys to your account, including us, therefore we can't reset this if lost or forgotten.

Dave did a great job describing how this works so I hope you don't mind that I quote him below -

First and foremost, you really should start with our security page as it gives a great overview of how 1Password protects your security. From that page you can also find our Security White Paper written by our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts, which does a really good job of explaining the rationale behind our security design in an easily accessible (and fun!) way. We also had the relatively recent 1Password is #LayerUp-ed with modern authentication blog post that I really enjoyed and I think you might as well. If I had to boil all this down to a single statement I would say that you can trust storing your information on our server because the data stored there is complete unusable gibberish. And the keys needed to decrypt it are never sent to our servers so even if someone were to steal the data, there’s nothing they can do with it. And thanks to our innovative Two-Secret Key Derivation function, even those with a weak Master Password are protected as the attacker would require your Secret Key before being able to decrypt the data. With standalone vaults your data is (usually, it’s up to you) synced to iCloud and Dropbox. This data is encrypted with your Master Password, but there is no concept of a Secret Key, so in many ways your data is more secure on our servers than anywhere else.

I would recommend taking full advantage of using your 1Password membership and leave the syncing to us :smile: I hope this information helped and let us know if you have any additional questions. We're always here if you need us.

• chiaras1
    chiaras1
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Frank,
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    Ok, I'll stick with you guys!
    Thank you!

• Frank
    Options

Hi @chiaras1 - You're very welcome and I'm happy the information helped :smile: If you need any assistance with the new account or run into any questions along the way, keep me posted. I'll be more than happy to help out. Enjoy the rest of your day.

This discussion has been closed.