Lost password

Options
edlorch
edlorch
Community Member

I have 1Password working with Touch ID on iPhone but it has stopped working on iPad. Is there anyway to reset password via the phone . Reset password seems to require remembering your old password even if Touch ID works.

Comments

• Frank
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi @edlorch - Sorry for the troubles. By design, we don't store Master Passwords on our end. We have a zero knowledge policy so there is no way we can reset this on our end. Do you have access to 1Password on a Mac or PC? My worry is, Touch ID doesn't always work 100% of the time and since you don't remember your Master Password, we have to move the data from that vault.

The best and easiest solution will be to sign up for a 1Password.com account. We include a 30 day free trial. After you create the account, add it to your existing 1Password app on your iPhone. Once the account has been added, you can move the data from your Primary vault over to your new Personal vault which is tied to the new account.

Keep me posted if you run into any questions along the way and if you were able to move your existing data over to the new account.

• edlorch
    edlorch
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I bought 1password pro but was never able to get it onto another device, it always tried to recharge me. I' ll try your suggestion. Obviously I had too much faith in Touch ID.

• Ben
    Options

Please let us know how it turns out, @edlorch.

Thanks.

Ben

• Ferdi1199
    Ferdi1199
    Community Member
    Options

Hi.. My name's Mohamed Anter and I have lost my master password on 1Password account,
    Can I get your help please and what information I can send you to get my master password again or change

THANKS

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ferdi1199: We don't have your Master Password and cannot give it to you. It's never sent to us. Similarly, since your data is encrypted using the Master Password you chose, it isn't possible to simply "reset" it either. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-master-password

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• edlorch
    edlorch
    Community Member
    Options

Frank. I managed to work your solution and got the data across into a 1password account as you suggested, excellent. However I cant see how to re-import the data into 1password on the other devices where I have lost the Touch ID input and cant open them.. Do I have to delete the app on those devices and start afresh
    Thanks for support.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @edlorch

The next step depends on if you want to continue with a 1Password membership or if you'd rather transition back to a standalone vault. If you'd like to continue with a membership (benefits can be found here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?) then yes: you'd uninstall & reinstall 1Password on your iOS devices and sign in with your new account credentials. That will erase the old Primary vault that you no longer have the password to, and you'll be left with just what you've moved to the new account.

If you'd rather not continue with membership, and want to return to using a standalone vault then you'd follow these instructions:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account - 1Password Support

Once you've done so you'll need to re-establish syncing on your devices:

Sync your 1Password data

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• edlorch
    edlorch
    Community Member
    Options

Ben

I have 1password on my ipad that I cant open because I lost the password so I cant get at its settings to move data into it again so should i delete it and re-install?

ED

• Ben
    Options

Yes. :)

Ben

• edlorch
    edlorch
    Community Member
    Options

Ben
    That all worked fine for devices that have Touch ID but other devices still require the old password once 1password is relaunched. Am I missing something?

• edlorch
    edlorch
    Community Member
    Options

I should have added other devices without Touch ID on which I re-installed the app and used 1password.com

• @edlorch,

Are you sure you completely uninstalled 1Password from the other devices? Touch ID should make no difference. If you remove the app it removes all data associated with the app, so I'm not sure how it would be possible to still receive a prompt for a Master Password, unless you set up syncing when you first launch the app.

Ben

• edlorch
    edlorch
    Community Member
    Options

Problem solved thank you. I did not realise that the emergency kit master password was what it was asking for now. My error, thanks for excellent support.

• Great! Thanks for the update, and the kind words. Glad to hear that resolved the issue. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.