Deleted login details - can I retrieve with TimeMachine?

Options
Jennian
Jennian
Community Member

I backup my Mac regularly using Apple's TimeMachine and an external drive. I recently (2 weeks ago) emptied the 1Password trash and now find I need one of the deleted logins... If I go back a month or so on TimeMachine, will I be able to restore an older version of 1Password onto my computer and retrieve it? Can't think of any other method. Any thoughts? Jennian

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Deleted login details - can I retrieve with TimeMachine?

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @Jennian! Thanks for asking about this. 1Password has built-in backups, so let's restore one of those instead:

1Password backups

Let us know how that goes :)

• Jennian
    Jennian
    Community Member
    Options

Would have been perfect but sadly I've only just now created a 1Password account so the stuff that is on the web is only the version currently on my computer. So the Trash is empty. Will certainly use this in the future - thanks so much for help. Is there any other way? Would TimeMachine work?

• Jacob
    Options

@Jennian Ah good to know. You could restore a Time Machine backup of the Data folder for 1Password, but before you do please make sure you have the Secret Key and Master Password for your account somewhere safe. I'd recommend getting a copy of your Emergency Kit for this and writing your Master Password in it.

Once you have things safe, let's enable a vault outside your account in 1Password for Mac:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Choose 1Password -> Preferences from the menu bar, then click Advanced.
    3. Check the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" box and enter your Master Password when prompted.

Now launch the Time Machine app from the Applications folder and head back to a time you last had the item you need. Once you get there, press Command + Shift + G on your keyboard and paste the following:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups

If you're installed 1Password from the Mac App Store, paste this instead:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Backups

Take a look at the latest file from this folder. It's full of backups from 1Password and the most recent one should have all your items in it. If it doesn't, check a few before it. The title will be something like:

1Password 2016-01-26 11_20_02 (1 profile, 124 items, 5 folders, 8 attachments).1p4_zip

Select the file you find and click Restore in the Time Machine interface, then wait for it to restore. Now open 1Password, click the 1Password menu, and click Preferences. Switch to the Backup tab and select the backup that has the same number of items as what you just moved over. Then click Restore. Confirm your choice and wait for the process to complete. Check to make sure your data is there.

To get the data into your account, you can sign in to your account in 1Password for Mac and move your data over, then remove your old vault:

1. Click the vault menu in the top left of the window and choose Primary.
    2. Click an item, then choose Edit -> Select All from the menu bar.
    3. Once again from the menu bar, choose Item -> Share -> Personal -> Move.

Now open 1Password.com in your browser and sign in to your account. If everything is there, go back to 1Password for Mac, switch to the old vault, and and click 1Password -> Delete Vault to remove it.

Let us know how things go! :)

• Jennian
    Jennian
    Community Member
    Options

Brilliant. Thank you so much!

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of Jacob you are most welcome! If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.