Windows 10 versus Mac UX

Are there any plans to bring the Windows version of 1Password in line with the Mac version? I use both between office and personal use, and I find that using the Windows 10 version is clunky, ugly, and not nearly as user-friendly as the Mac version is. I love the product, but it would be nice to see a bit of consistency between both platforms.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kaleidocat,

Thanks for writing in.

Absolutely yes but there will be some technical platform differences as not all macOS stuff can be replicated on Windows and vis versa.

Are you using 1Password 6.7 for Windows?

We are continuously refining 1Password 6 in each update to match 1Password 6 on macOS but it will take a while because Apple's platform just have a lot of goodies built in that we need to manually replicate by hand on Windows. We have made a lot of progress in the last several months and we won't stop; here's what 1Password 6.0 release looked like: https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/06/02/1password-6-beta-for-windows-opens-the-door-to-1password-families-and-1password-teams/

Can you clarify what's not as user-friendly for you? We need to know what parts you'd like to see us improve, so we can make sure it is on our list already.

• kaleidocat
    kaleidocat
    Community Member

Thank you for the response @MikeT; very appreciated. For the record, I do use the most current versions of 1Password as they become available to users.

One of the biggest differences in user friendliness I notice between using Mac vs Windows 10 is the Chrome plugin, which I use more frequently than the standalone program itself. It seems like it's much easier and more responsive when in use on Mac versus Win. The Windows version seems "barebones" and a lot less polished, by comparison. I feel like I have to go hunting to find, say, an account number for a bank. Some of the basic UI elements are unclear; the Vaults icon and the All Items icons look almost the same, I'm not familiar with some of the items in general, so as a user I need to mouse over and discern what icon is what, then determine if that is what I am looking for.

While I can't recall a particular instance, it sometimes feels like there's certain times when I go to use 1Password to log in at some sites, but despite right-click and selecting the log in several times, 1Password does not seem to input the information and feels non-responsive. Sorry I cannot provide any particulars there.

I was not aware of the goodies on Mac vs. Windows; thank you for that insight.

Please don't take my comments as complaint, as I do enjoy the product (as I originally said) and think it is a great tool and just want to see it improve. But the tool set between both platforms feels so night and day as a user who uses both.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kaleidocat: Likewise, thanks for the feedback! Actually, the 1Password mini interface in the browser is a good example of what Mike was referring to. On macOS there's a really flexible menuing system we use in 1Password there for things like the list of Logins, Secure Notes, Credit Cards, etc. This isn't available on Windows, so right now we've got the icons on the left to select different categories. Originally we didn't have this at all there, and we'll continue to improve the design to make it easier to find things. You can easily type to search for anything, but we do want to make it more intuitive to navigate as well without searching. 1Password for Mac is definitely more polished, as we've had about 5 years to refine the current design. We're not there yet as the new Windows app enters its second year this month, but we're making good progress and we'll get there in time. Thank you so much for the constructive criticism and encouragement! :chuffed:

P.S: If you encounter login issues with websites, please let us know the specifics so we can investigate. We're constantly working to make 1Password better there as well, and that helps browser integration on all platforms. Cheers! :)

• kaleidocat
    kaleidocat
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you so much for the response, and the openness to customers' thoughts and suggestions. It certainly makes me feel more confident in the product knowing that customers are listened and responded to!

And thank you as well for the insight on the behind-the-scenes of Mac vs. Windows. Knowing that from your response and @MikeT's response helps me gain better understanding and appreciation of the work going into the product. :smile:

Keep up the awesome work. :+1: :smile:

• On behalf of brenty and Mike (and the whole Windows team, really), we really do appreciate the encouragement, @kaleidocat! 1Password 6 for Windows is still a young app and we might maybe have a bit of a chip on our shoulders as result of having to play a bit of catch-up, so comments like yours really do help us keep chugging along. :wink: Thanks for your interest and for showing your appreciation of our work. It really does mean a lot. :love:

This discussion has been closed.