Requesting ability to remove personal vaults

Options
calebacook
calebacook
Community Member

I know this has been asked before, but I wanted to bring it up again since it's really a problem in certain scenarios. We have a large family, and I have helped all of them move to 1Password. Most of them are entirely capable of managing their own passwords – however there are some (like my grandparents and younger members of the family) that require some oversight at times, and I am always checking their vaults to make sure their passwords are up-to-date, or to access items to help them with tech issues. :-)

For those members, having a private vault isn't very helpful, as they want all the passwords to be accessible to me, and/or other members.

I know it's possible to hide the private vault, but it's a workaround that isn't 100% reliable. For instance– if a member adds a new vault, and doesn't know to hide and change the vault to save in, that will create inconsistent items in 1Password. Can you please add an option for a user to remove their personal vault, or share it with another? It should definitely be an opt-in/opt-out ability, but it should be there nonetheless. Thanks

I've found that by adding guests, that eliminates the private vault. However, this prevents the guest from accessing other shared vaults, which is still often an issue.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

For those members, having a private vault isn't very helpful, as they want all the passwords to be accessible to me, and/or other members.

I can guarantee that all of my family members would not be amused by that kind of "oversight" ;) And to be honest, I would spend my time on funnier things than checking other people's vaults for passwords.
    I teach them how to use the software and that they always should use the password generator to create secure passwords. And that they should change the weak ones and I show them how this is working.

But if they were like your family, I would use Travel Mode for that. I would mark all the vaults they should see as "Save for Travel" and leave the Personal Vault unchecked and then activate Travel Mode. This way they have no opportunity to save anything in their Personal Vault, because it simply isn't there on any device. Ok, it's still visible and usable in the browser, but normally people use the 1Password apps.

However before you do that, make sure they moved all their passwords to a vault that is marked as "Save for Travel". :)

if a member adds a new vault, and doesn't know to hide and change the vault to save in, that will create inconsistent items in 1Password

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Are you saying that there's a chance that not all passwords are in the same place? If so, that's more a less an organisational problem rather than a technical problem. The family members need to get used to the software and learn how to do things, that's totally fine. And if they don't make "mistakes" they won't learn anything.
    And maybe they like having multiple vaults, like I do for example.

Apart from that, there are reasons that this Personal Vault is there. Almost anyone has stuff that he does not want others to see, including their family organizers and that is understandable. I don't necessarily mean passwords. You can put anything in there and it's good to have a safe place for those things.

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @calebacook! Thanks so much for asking about this. Indeed, it's something we're already considering but isn't on the roadmap right now. Manaburner brought up some interesting points about Travel Mode as well, and honestly went into all the details I was going to in response to your post, so I'm going to leave this one at that. :) I'll be sure to let the team know you asked about this.

This discussion has been closed.