Transfer Vaults from iPhone to iMac

Options
bingobangobongo
bingobangobongo
Community Member

I have 1p on iPhone and iMac, synced locally.

Due to a major technical issue on iMac, I was forced to disk repair/wipe/reinstall.

I did not capture my 1password library/backup, but I have current vaults on my iPhone.

I do not use cloud syncing, only local.

I want to export 1p on iOS into OS X. I understand this to not be possible?

So after first backing up the iPhone vaults, I have tried the following:

Sync iPhone to Mac to export the vaults into Mac. This didn't work, despite it syncing with iTunes. I was connected to same WiFi, have checked WLAN is on for iMac but cannot find that option in the iOS app. I also tried Hotspot connection.)

I also tried recreating the 3 vaults on Mac with the same name/same master password as the ones on my iPhone. However 1p cannot connect via WiFi between iPhone and Mac.

I tried to find the iOS backup in iTunes after syncing. I cannot find where that might be copied to in the Mac. I'm not sure I can use 1p iOS backup to OS X 1p.

I have not been able to recover the library using a file recovery program either.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

My last hope is an old Dec 2016 backup on thumb drive.. if there is no other option, can I use this to restore on the iMac from that and then Sync with the current updated vaults on the iPhone? I have done major changes in my vaults since then, including trashing a lot of logins and other redundant information. A huge overhaul actually. Would the latest versions overwrite the older entries, and would all the deleted items reappear?

I'm hoping that I don't have to reenter everything manually.

Using 1p 6.8 on both, with the latest versions of iOS and OS X

Any pointers greatly appreciated, and thank you for this amazing app, and for your help!

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.3.3, OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Local

Comments

• bingobangobongo
    bingobangobongo
    Community Member
    Options

OK I have resolved this issue finally on my own.

I hit backup on the phone app.
    I then synced with iTunes. Notes on how to do that here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/56263/making-a-backup-in-itunes
    In iTunes, Phone, Apps, scroll down to one password app.
    My backup didn't appear, because I had done a wipe and reinstall of OS X on Mac.
    To fix this, I re downloaded 1password for iOS in iTunes, because although it was on my phone still, it wasn't in my app library in iTunes.
    Once I had downloaded the app, I hit sync again, and the file appeared.
    Click on the 1password app, click on the backup file, and and click "save" and save it to a directory on the Mac hard drive.
    Then open the 1password app on Mac, preferences, hit Restore from backup and select the file.
    With it now restored on Mac, just reset up the WLAN server and it synced ok.

I used to be able to Sync all 3 vaults, but now I am only able to Sync the primary vault. This part I don't know how to fix.

• bingobangobongo
    bingobangobongo
    Community Member
    Options

OK I can sync all 3 vaults again over WLAN. Instructions for that here: https://support.1password.com/wlan-server-troubleshooting/

Thanks god that's over. This is turning into a love/hate relationship

• Ben
    Options

Hi @bingobangobongo,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you were able to get this resolved, and I apologize for the frustration experienced. If you're looking for a smoother experience I'd recommend taking a look at our 1Password membership offering. It was designed with the challenges you've experienced in mind. With a membership backups and sync happen automatically simply by signing into your account. There are a number of other benefits as well, which you can read about here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you decide that sounds like something you might be interested in you can learn about how to migrate your existing setup to a membership here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.