How to Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication Microsoft Office

richardlabellerichardlabelle Junior Member

How to setup 1Password as an authenticator for sites with Microsoft Office that has two-factor authentication and multiple apps under the Microsoft Account i.e. Outlook, Office, One Note, etc....

1Password Version: 6.8 (680015)
Extension Version: 4.6.9
OS Version: MacOS Sierre 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCould
Referrer: forum-search:How to Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication with Microsoft Office that has multiple Apps under the Microsoft Account i.e. Outlook, Office, One Note, etc...

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@richardlabelle: 1Password supports the TOTP standard, which Microsoft does not appear to be using, so it isn't possible at this time to use 1Password as an authenticator for Microsoft services. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Hi @richardlabelle
    I have setup 1Password as my 2FA for my outlook.com account and it's working perfectly fine. However I can't say anything about office365 because I don't own such an account.

• rickfillionrickfillion Junior Member

Team Member

There are a good number of proprietary 2FA systems out there, and it's unfortunately not possible for us to support them.

Rick

• richardlabellerichardlabelle Junior Member
    edited August 2017

Thank you ALL for your help. I's was very much appreciated!

Team Member

You're very welcome. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

• MS authenticator is compatible with Google and 1Password. When setting up you must select other device and MS will give you a chance to set up another app. I just did it so it works.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Yeah, I guess it depends on how you set it up. Thanks for pointing that out! :)

• Just like OP, I did not enjoy the experience of having to use MS Authenticator for this one Office 365 login. I tried the method suggested by @gmaddry, it works perfectly with Office 365.
    A big headache solved, I live about 45 mins away from work and my cell phone text message and the MS authenticator app were the only way for me to sign into my work email. I was dreading the day I have to drive back to get my cell phone to sign into my work email account.

Team Member

Great to see that that worked out for you, @sarx85.

Rick

• Note that when setting up 2-factor authentication for Office 365 through Azure, click the "configure app without notifications" link and scan that code to get it to work with 1password.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

:) :+1:

• Can we please have this as a feature request: 1Password to support Microsoft Authenticator?

I think there are few big guys out there: Google Authenticator and Microsoft Authenticator. At least supporting both would be great.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @msxtj

Google Authenticator works based on the TOTP standard, which is the most common form of 2FA, and is also what 1Password's implementation is based on. I'm less familiar with Microsoft Authenticator, but it appears it supports the TOTP standard as well. They may also support other standards, perhaps even proprietary ones, and as Rick said above:

There are a good number of proprietary 2FA systems out there, and it's unfortunately not possible for us to support them.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file