To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to recover my Secret Key

Options
Boost
Boost
Community Member

Hi,

I changed my computer and I forgot to save my Emergency Kit.
What can I do ?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Boost! Welcome to our forums :chuffed:

I'll do my best to help you out! Just like your master password, your Secret Key is never transmitted to us, so we don't have a copy of it. If you don't have an Emergency Kit for your account, then your next best option would be if you still have access to any devices that are set up with the account that you can unlock with your master password (i.e., copies of the 1Password app, or web browsers that you have signed into the account from). From those, you should be able to retrieve your full Secret Key as per this guide: https://support.1password.com/secret-key/

I hope that helps! :+1:

• Boost
    Boost
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have any of these =/
    I got 1Password on my phone, but I reset it 2 month ago and didn't reinstalled 1Password.

Any other option ?

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Boost I'm sorry to hear that! The Secret Key is a secret known only to you and your devices, and it is combined with your self-chosen master password to encrypt all of the data in your account. We don't have either the Secret Key or your master password, so there's no way for us to decrypt your data or reset your details for you.

Let me reach out to you via email, so I can talk to you about some of the specifics of the devices you've used to access your account in the past - maybe there's another device you're not thinking of you can get your Secret Key from!

• Boost
    Boost
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, I'll wait your email.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Boost - just sent it now; let's keep the conversation going there :+1:

ref: EKD-47742-715

• Len0426
    Len0426
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. I was hoping I can retrieve my secret key via email as I can't sign in to 1password as it requires the secret key. HELP! :(

• @Len0426: As John mentioned, we don't know your Secret Key and cannot reset it for you, so if you're unable to retrieve it, the best option is to start over from scratch. As a reminder, all information you've already saved will be lost if you do need to start over, so it's worth taking a look at this guide to see if you can retrieve your Secret Key. Also, if you're a member of a Team or a Family account, others on your account may be able to recover your account for you. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.