1Password 6 won't open on Windows 10 desktop.

Options

First, when I clicked on 1Password in the Start list, nothing happened. When I tried "Run as Administrator", I get the message, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I looked at the Support Forum, and tried renaming the Data file as backup-data, which did not change anything. I then tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling, but it says the program is already installed.

I can see the folders for the program on my computer, but can't make them work.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 6 won't open on Windows 10 desktop

Comments

• Thanks for writing in @dsdboyce! This sounds like something went awry when updating 1Password. Did you recently try to update from a particularly old version of 1Password 6? If so, I'd like you to close all browsers, then open up task manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc). Terminate any 1Password processes, then try reinstalling again. When updating from an older version of 1Password 6, it's a good idea to back up your data folder as well, so copy the backup you already created to your desktop, just in case.

• dsdboyce
    dsdboyce
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate,

I've only been using 1Password since 6/18/17. I had been using the Chrome plug-in regularly, and one day about 2 weeks ago, it stopped working - with the button showing greyed out. I searched the Forum for solutions, and tried to update and restart Chrome, but it didn't work. I then started looking at my desktop version and it wouldn't come up. That is when I tried what I described in my first email.

When I go into Task Manager, I don't see any 1Password processes running on any tab.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dsdboyce, thank you for getting back to us with some additional info! Do you happen to have a AV/anti-malware software on your PC? Please let us know. Thanks!

• dsdboyce
    dsdboyce
    Community Member
    Options

We do have Malwarebytes running.

• Thanks for the extra info, @dsdboyce! We have encountered some problems with Malwarebytes locking files when 1Password is trying to update leading to a bad install. Did you happen to encounter any errors when updating the main 1Password app recently? Thanks!

• dsdboyce
    dsdboyce
    Community Member
    Options

At this point, the app is not working at all. It stopped working for some reason, so I uninstalled it. Now I can't reinstall because apparently there are still files on the machine. Is there someone who can work with me more directly on this? Getting a brief email trying to guess what might be the problem every 12 hours isn't very effective. At this point, it may be easier to stop using the program.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hello @dsdboyce,

I do apologise this hasn't been an easy issue to resolve but we will continue working with you until you are all set.

Please check your inbox now. I've just sent you some instructions on how you can try to install 1Password on your PC. Please let us know how it goes. If you have any other questions, we are always ready to help. Thank you!

ref: MXG-13273-396

This discussion has been closed.