I have a 5-user license. Is this, then, a Family license?

Options
SteveCrews
SteveCrews
Community Member

We are an Apple family. I have a MacBook Pro, an iPhone, and an iPad Pro. My wife has an iMac and an iPhone. My daughter has a MacBook Pro and an iPhone. My step-daughter has a Windows laptop, and an iPhone. I want all of us to be able to use 1Password. It is NOT necessary for each of us to share all our logins, only for each of us to be able to use 1Password on ALL the machines we have. I don't know the Sync Type, and that's why I am asking.

1Password Version: 6.8 (680015)
Extension Version: 4.6.9
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have a 5-user license. Is this, then, a Family license?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @SteveCrews

You currently have a 1Password 6 for Mac license, purchased in 2013. This allows up to 5 people who live under the same roof to use 1Password 6 for Mac. It does not include 1Password for Windows or 1Password for iOS. It also will not include 1Password 7 for Mac when it becomes available.

Your best option to get all of your family members the latest version of 1Password for all of their devices would be a 1Password Families subscription membership. A membership is currently the only way that 1Password for Windows is available. You can read more about this option here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

You can learn about how to migrate from your current setup to a membership here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• SteveCrews
    SteveCrews
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks. I won't need the Windows option, since Morgan lives in Florida. Talk me through how to get 1Password to work on my new iPad Pro.

• Ben
    Options

@SteveCrews

My recommendation would still be the same as above. If instead of setting up your family you're just looking to have your own devices properly in sync and with the latest versions of 1Password you could opt for an individual account, instead of a 1Password Families account.

Thanks!

Ben

• SteveCrews
    SteveCrews
    Community Member
    Options

How do I take advantage of my 5-User License, then?

• Ben
    Options

@SteveCrews

Your current license is for Mac only.

Ben

• SteveCrews
    SteveCrews
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I know. It is for 5 users, on Macs. I am looking to have each of us (me, my wife, and one of my daughters) use the product on each of our own Macs. I want to know how to tell my iPad Pro about all my logins and passwords. My wife would want to sync between her iMac and her iPhone. My daughter would want to sync between her Mac laptop and her iPhone. That uses up 3 of the 5 licenses that I have already bought. That is the plan, now tell me how to implement it.

As an aside, my iPhone and my Mac laptop already are synced. But I have forgotten how I did that, since it was about 4 years ago. I JUST BOUGHT an iPad Pro, and I need the 1Password on this NEW thing to use the same logins and passwords as on my other two devices.

And..... go!

[You need to get that Windows idea out of your thinking. I dropped that request about three screens ago.]

• Ben
    Options

@SteveCrews

We're still not on the same page, and I believe that is because it sounds like you believe your Mac license covers iOS as well (iPhones & iPads). These devices are not Macs. They do not run macOS. They run iOS, which is a different platform, and has a different app, which is sold separately.

As I mentioned the best and easiest way to accomplish the setup you've described (1Password on your and your family's Macs and iOS devices) would be to sign up for a 1Password Families account. With this a single subscription covers the cost of usage of the latest 1Password apps on all supported platforms, sync is included (simply sign into your 1Password account and all of your data is there), and backups are automated and off-site.

You could instead continue to use your 1Password for Mac license, but the Pro features for iOS would be a separate purchase for each person. Upgrades to future versions of 1Password would also not be included, and would need to be purchased for each person (as we no longer sell family licenses). 1Password Families is definitely going to be the less expensive and less technically complex option. But if you want to proceed with this route you'd install 1Password for iOS from the App Store on each iOS device, and 1Password for Mac from our website on each Mac. There are links to both of these downloads here:

Downloads - 1Password

Once installed you'd apply your license to each of the Macs. I've re-sent it to you so that you've got the instructions for doing so. It may help to forward this email to each of the family members, so you have easy access to it from their Macs.

You'd then also purchase the Pro features for 1Password for iOS from each of the family member's iOS devices, if desired:

Pro features in 1Password for iOS

You can then set up syncing between the devices, using either Dropbox or iCloud (note that iCloud can only sync one vault, so if any of your family members wish to have more than one Dropbox will be the better choice):

Sync your 1Password data

I hope that helps!

Ben

• SteveCrews
    SteveCrews
    Community Member
    Options

I get it now. Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. Sorry I wasn't more clear to begin with! I hope this information proves helpful in making your decision on how to roll 1Password out to your family. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.