Updated 1pw. Nothing works anymore!

Options

1pw notified me that there was an update. Said to go ahead and install. Install caused errors. Now nothing works anymore. Also, there appears to be some sort of secret key. Have no idea what that is. How can i get back to a working system?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Updated 1pw. Nothing works anymore!

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @hjhermans,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

The symptoms you describe sound as though you may have switched to downloading 1Password from our website to downloading from the Mac App Store, or vice versa. Does that ring any bells? Did something happen differently when updating this time than it normally does?

Please let us know. We'll get to the bottom of this. :)

Ben

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben;
    Never downloaded anything except when i first installed a few years ago. Never used Mac App store for anything ever. When the 'there is an update' prompt came in and i said to go ahead, it probably decided to download from somewhere. No idea from where.

To fix this, should i just uninstall whatever is there and re-install after downloading? Will my data be affected? What do i need to know besides userid /pw and of course my data master pw.? Saw something like a 'secret key'. No idea what that is about.

Hans

• Ben
    Options

Okay, thanks for the update Hans. Before I can give any advice on what you should do next I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#MSK-96295-981]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

We'll help you get to the bottom of this. Thanks!

Ben

ref: MSK-96295-981

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again;
    I'm using WIndows 10, not a Mac, but that should not make a difference.
    To make a diagnostic report i need to be able to run 1pw. I can't, there is no longer a program i think. All i can do is uninstall it. 1pw still works on other machines i have. I can uninstall and reinstall, but need to know if my data will be lost if i do this?

• Frank
    Options

Hi @hjhermans - If you're rocking a 1Password membership, your data is safe. Your data is encrypted and stored on our servers which is why you don't have to manage a sync source or backup on your end. Make sure you print out your Emergency Kit which lists all your sign in details for the account. You will need this to sign back into the account. Keep us posted and we'll be here to help.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Frank, but i still cannot get an specific answer to this problem.
    1. I cannot make an Emergency Kit because I have NO idea what secret key i may or may not have. Hence i cannot sign in!
    2. Can i uninstall 1pw without losing my data so that i can re-install?

• Frank
    Options

Hi @hjhermans - It looks like you might be using 1Password 4 on your PC with a standalone license. May I ask, were you using Dropbox to sync your 1Password data?

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

I believe that i have a standalone licence as i am not aware of how i would have gotten it any other way than just paying for it. I do not have or use Dropbox but do have it on OneDrive. I must have iPw 4 as that is the name of the program directory. Program is still called 1Password.exe

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @hjhermans,

Thank you for working with us! :+1: We had similar reports from the users of McAfee and Malwarebytes. Do you happen to have any AV/anti-malware software on your PC? Please let us know.

Cheers,
    Greg

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Am using McAfee Lifesave on Windows 10

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hjhermans:

Ah, that explains it. Please try to do the following to install the latest update:

1) Uninstall 1Password 4 via the Control Panel (your data is kept separately and will not be affected).
    2) Reboot.
    3) Download the latest version from here, but DO NOT install it yet.
    4) Disconnect the Internet and disable McAfee temporarily.
    5) Install 1Password 4.
    6) Re-enable McAfee/Internet after that.

Please let us know how it goes. Thank you!

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Will let you know.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

All OK now. Back working. Thanks. Still don't understand how i log into support as it seems to insist on a secret key. But that is minor and can wait till later. Somehow i am able to get to this forum. That's all that matters. Just have to poke around a while to get there.

• Hey, @hjhermans! I'm glad 1Password 4 is up and running for you again. As for that login option. that's for folks who have a 1Password membership to access their data in their browser, manage their subscription and other such administrative tasks. Since you have a standalone license, you don't need to sign in for any reason, which is why you don't have that Secret Key. All of our support articles are available here and, of course, we're always available here on the forum or via e-mail. You can contact us any time without logging in at all so no worries. :chuffed:

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

got it., thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem! Glad Kate and the others were able to help. We're here if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.