Auto fill on Non Google, Non Android O phones

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited August 2017 in Android

I have a issue with 1Password as my device is on Android N currently. The Auto fill is greyed out and the explanation states that Android O is a requirement.

1Password Keyboard and Accessibility requirement are both checked in Settings.

I still don't know how to make it work in Chrome for Android N.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Indeed, Android O Autofill only works on Android Oreo, as this is an OS feature. OpenYOLO is an app-level feature that will allow 3rd party apps to request filling from 1Password 6.6 and higher, and this will work even on older OSes so long as the app developers add support for it. But given that very few do at this stage, you'll need to continue using the 1Password Keyboard for filling for the most part on Android N and earlier for the time being. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. Thanks!

• peri
    Options

I'm glad brenty was able to help out!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

The good news is that Android O is coming to my phone. The bad news is that I cannot determine when it will arrive, possibly in 6 months.

https://phonearena.com/news/Heres-what-Sony-Xperia-devices-will-likely-get-updated-to-Android-O_id96662

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I hear ya. Glad it's coming though! That means you'll probably have a good couple years from now with it.

If it makes to feel better, I'm not getting Oreo here either yet. My device is supported, but due to the staggered rollout it may be a while. Happy to wait though so long as it's coming! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Me too, Brent but I do hope this will break the curse of Android. IOS gets 5 years of updates after all! We shall see.

• peri
    Options

8-)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi

I hope I am not mistaken but weren't there other options prior to this Auto fill feature being greyed out?

i don"t know what Android devices you are using but Sony has never supported RAW camera images which has been in the specs since Android L. RAW capability is specified in Google's Camera2 API. This for me was a reason to avoid Sony phones. That and the 2 years of updates.

I could not wait any longer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hope I am not mistaken but weren't there other options prior to this Auto fill feature being greyed out?

@wkleem: What options do you mean?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

i don't have any screen shots. i thought there was another option that had disappeared. Perhaps before the latest 1Password update?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: 1Password for Android still supports the 1Password Keyboard accessibility feature, along with the newer Android O Autofill (which must be enabled) and OpenYOLO (which must be supported by individual apps).

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I am not seeing OpenYOLO anywhere?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: There isn't an option for it. It's built into 1Password and must be supported by individual apps for it to be offered in them.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Weird that I thought I saw an additional option in Settings where 1Password Keyboard and Accessibility is.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you see it again, please let me know. A screenshot would be great! I'm curious what you're referring to.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi @brenty: How does the Google Play Store work with regards to old 1Password versions? If I revert back to Marshmallow, do I still get the latest 1Password version or is 1Password OS specific like iOS?

I may try to do a full reset of the phone if I can solve this issue. Current 1Password version for Android is v6.6 but that's not when I first noticed this issue. It was possibly 2 (or more) updates earlier.

• saad
    Options

You can download the latest version of 1Password from Google’s Play Store on your Android Marshmallow device. However, the Autofill feature requires Android Oreo so that’s not going to be available on your device.

We have made some tweaks to the Filling setting in 1Password 6.6 with the addition of Autofill. The 1Password Keyboard and accessibility service are both available for filling but they now have a much better description. :smile:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thank you for the clarification @saad. I have updated my device and contrary to what I thought, once the OS is updated there is no downgrading.

Just like iOS and possibly everything else.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It definitely takes some getting used to, but it's for the best — especially with recent Android security issues. I wish those stuck on older OSes got fixes, but staying up to date will make sure you can at least.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies @brenty. It appears that my issue with the missing 1Password Setting as of 1Password v6.6 is gone, or was imagined? My recollection of it was that it was above the greyed out Auto fill feature. It's gone now. I may have been confused.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: I only hope that the wait for Android O isn't going to be too long for my device. Sony also recently announced Xperia XZ1 and XZ1 Compact with Android O preinstalled and Snapdragon 835?

https://sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-xz1/

https://sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-xz1-compact/

I bought my phone at a discount so I won't complain!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Probably best to talk to Sony about that. If we had any control over Android updates everyone would be on Oreo. :tongue:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.