Shortcuts not working [confirmed bug; fixed in 1Password for Mac version 6.8.2]

Options
ashortapnea
ashortapnea
Community Member
edited September 2017 in Mac

Hi,

I've decided to erase and reinstall from zero my Mac, performing a manual migration, as in the old times.
I've reinstalled 1Password from AppStore, my password came back from iCloud without any problem.

However the keyboard shortcuts don't work anymore. I've always used a custom keyboard shortcut, cmd alt k, both for "Show 1Password mini" and "Fill Login".

I've created a new user, i have the same issue. But, If i use 1Password on a migrated user, the shortcuts works properly.

If i click 1Password mini on the menu bar, works and fills login account without problems.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I'm on Sierra 10.12.6
I'm using 1Password Extension 4.6.9
1Password 6.8.1

_1Password Version: 6.8.1
_Extension Version: 4.6.9
_OS Version: 10.12.6
_Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi @ashortapnea -- sorry for the trouble! You're not the first person to mention this to us, and it appears to be a bug in the way Preference changes for keyboard shortcuts are saved. In short: they're NOT always reliably getting saved right now, which is why keyboard shortcut changes aren't reliably working for some people. Thanks for reporting, I've added your mention to the bug report. Apologies for the inconvenience, we hope to have a fix for this out in an update in the near future.

ref: OPM-5268

• ashortapnea
    ashortapnea
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your quick reply.

However, in my humble opinion, the problem is not related to my custom keyboard shortcuts.
    As a matter of fact I have the same problem on a brand new user, with the default keyboard shortcuts.

Since a old user doesn't give any problem (I copied manually the home folder from the old installation of Sierra to the new one), can I try to copy the 1Password folders from the old OS to the new one? The folders in ~/Library/Containers and ~/Library/Preference? Or do you think is worthless?

Thanks again

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ashortapnea -- definitely don't copy those Library folders over; they are specific to your previous installation. Can you try resetting the keyboard shortcuts in Preferences to the defaults, and seeing whether that works? I definitely respect your opinion, but we've not seen anything else right now in terms of keyboard shortcuts not working, other than what I described previously. If you set them back to ⌘\, etc and they still don't work, let us know and we'll dig a little deeper.

• ashortapnea
    ashortapnea
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I've set up ⌘\ as the default shortcut. Still no luck.

By the way, ⌘\ is not the real default shortcut for 1Password. This is what I see on a new user.

I'm using 1Password on a Mac with Italian keyboard, English as system language.

The I've tried to set up 1Password on another Mac, running 10.11.6. Here's the default settings.

Put aside for one moment the strange default shortcuts (cmd alt Ù it's impossible to get), I've tried on both system the simpler shortcut for Lock 1Password. It doesn't work.

• Hi @ashortapnea ,

I don't have an Italian keyboard, but Ù is just to the left of the return key, is it not? What happens when you press Command-Option-Ù?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• ashortapnea
    ashortapnea
    Community Member
    Options

Finally, it works!

I've deleted 1Password using a third party uninstaller.

Starting fresh made the default keyboard shortcuts working again. I'll keep the default the shortcuts since they work.

Thanks for your help.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

A general comment.

Beware of third party uninstallers when deleting 1PW. They can delete your data, so your passwords might be deleted too.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update, @ashortapnea, and for the reminder, danco. Good point. :)

Ben

• jaylindell
    jaylindell
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

agKevin: Wondering why you asked @ashortapnea to try a 'Command-Option' combo; I discovered that the only way I can get 1P Mini to show with a keyboard shortcut is to press 'Command-Option-\'. I usually have 'Control-\' as my setting, and did set that on this new 15" MBP...and it wouldn't work. Any ideas on what causes this/a fix? (FYI, I have a 2015 MBP 15 running Sierra and it works fine.)

Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jaylindell

It appears there is a bug in the way we handle the preferences for keyboard shortcuts in the current version. The problem has been identified, our developers have created a solution, and we'll begin testing that solution soon.

Thanks!

Ben

• Morphe
    Morphe
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I've just changed my mac for MBP and I cannot make the 1P mini shortcut works.
    It does nothing. It's really annoying, as it's the main feature I use every day.
    Now it makes my day way more difficult. For sure, I won't wait too long before switching for a solution that allows me to use simple shortcuts.
    I have no issue with the shortcuts of all my other software.
    I deeply hope, you will solve it very quickly.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your comments, @Morphe -- we hope we will solve it very quickly, also! Software troubleshooting isn't always straightforward, but this is a significant issue for many users, and represents a step backward (in other words, it used to work, now it doesn't seem to, for some users). We're sorry you've been affected by this, and I'd urge you to keep an eye on updates, which is where you'd see mention of this issue having been addressed. Thanks for being a 1Password user, and for your patience with us as we work to solve this problem.

• jaylindell
    jaylindell
    Community Member
    Options

@Morphe: see my post above; maybe it will work for you too, at least, until this is fixed (thanks for responding Ben and Lars)

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• Morphe
    Morphe
    Community Member
    Options

@jaylindell thank you for your suggestion, but I have a French keyboard, and I don't know where the key "\" is
    To access it I must "shift-option-:" which is not easy. And when I try to setup the shortcut you provide in 1Password, it writes "shift-option-command-:" which at the end is not the shortcut you advise me to use.

If you have another suggestion, especially with a French keyboard layout, it will great. Because using the mouse 100 times per day when I would normally use a shortcut, it's not really fun ^^.

I use all the time the 1P mini ^^

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Morphe: I'm sorry, but we don't have a new version to release with a fix for this yet, though we're working on it. Are you saying that the keyboard shortcut you'd been using previously has stopped working? I've only seen that it isn't possible for some users to set new ones, not that they're being wiped out. Either way, we'll get this fixed. Thanks for your patience!

• Morphe
    Morphe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty . The issue is that I can setup a shortcut, but it didn't work. I mean, the "Show the 1P mini" don't show. I tried 10x possible shortcuts but none of them worked. I assumed I had a conflict in shortcut in my mac, but it does not seem to be the case. The only shortcut I was not able to set is the "option-cmd-\" due to my french keyboard layout where the key "\" is not present. I need to use "Shift-option" to access to this character. So I'm not able to set this shortcut in 1P to test the solution of @jaylindell

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Morphe - yep, that's the current bug; the Preferences for custom keyboard shortcuts are not saving properly. That's a problem for anyone who uses custom key bindings, but it's particularly an issue for people with keyboards where the layout is not the same as English due to layout. As Brenty said, we're working on a fix for this, so keep an eye on the updates, we hope to have it out ASAP, because we know how important this is to many people's workflows. Sorry for the trouble!

• iamcoda
    iamcoda
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I'm on a Mac and I've changed the shortcut for filling login but it's not being picked-up. The dialog shows "Shift+CMD+\" as my custom shortcut but the original one - CMD+\ - is registered instead. I've done this on my other machines before and never had a problem.

Tried it on Chrome and Firefox.

1Password Version: 6.8.1
    Extension Version: 4.6.10.90
    OS Version: 10.12.6
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iamcoda -- I've merged your thread with an existing one, since you're not the only person to report this. I hope that's OK. You've hit a bug that appears to have been introduced in 1Password for Mac 6.8.1. It appears custom keyboard shortcut preferences are not being saved properly, but we won't know for sure until our devs can track it down. Fortunately, they're already at work on a fix for this. Until we have a new update to release (hopefully soon!), you'll either have to switch back to the default shortcuts or work without them for now. Sorry for the trouble!

• iamcoda
    iamcoda
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars , totally ok. Thanks for picking this up. I can work with existing shortcut for now. Thanks!

• loranger
    loranger
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hello,

I'd like to know if we're able to change the firefox extension's shortcut to fill in the page: The 1Password shortcut is the default one used on OSX to switch window from an app.
    If I have multiple firefox windows opened (or annoying popups), I cannot switch to those anymore, using the cmd+` shortcut.

I tried to change this behaviour by defining a new shortcut (and relaunched 1password and Firefox), but it doesn't seems to work

What did I miss ?

1Password Version: 6.8.1 AppStore
    Firefox Version: Nightly 57.0a1
    Extension Version: 4.6.11.3 beta
    OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamcoda -- thanks for understanding. :) We hope to have a solution for this out ASAP.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @loranger - you didn't miss anything; we appear to be having a problem with custom keyboard shortcuts preferences currently not saving properly in 1Password for Mac. Our developers are aware of it, and at work on a fix. Sorry for the inconvenience, and please keep an eye out for updates.

• loranger
    loranger
    Community Member
    Options

Ho, great ! Thank you so much @Lars !

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're quite welcome, @loranger! Enjoy the rest of your week. :)

• coil_of_wire
    coil_of_wire
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! I see you're working on this, but I'd like to add my +1; my computer's drive was replaced so I'm restoring, and I'm tripping over this one several times a minute. Super frustrating, but thanks, looking forward to the update!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @coil_of_wire -- thanks for the +1; we'll get a fix for this out as quickly as possible. Keep an eye on updates!

• eegorebulbous
    eegorebulbous
    Community Member
    Options

Yeh, this is pretty annoying, just reinstalled myself, and the hotkey I'm used to using no longer works. is it safe to downgrade to the previous version of 1password I was using before (6.7.1), in terms of database compatibility? Don't want to risk corrupting my database.

• askielboe
    askielboe
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same issue. Shortcuts not working!

Did not realize how important those shortcuts were before they stopped working. Using 1Password now is such a hassle!

Hope you find a fix for this soon.

This discussion has been closed.