Error With Password Input [resolved through email]

Options
theengine
theengine
Community Member
edited August 2017 in Mac

Hello folks,

I've just noticed what might be an error in the Password input field.

I used the Password Generator to see how strong my real password is. I tried adding 3 spaces before my first letter, which made is stronger, and then 3 spaces at the end, that made it stronger still.

Then I wondered how easy it would be to enter it that way in the open 1Password field to open the app. So, on my Mac I opened 1Password and in the Enter Master Password field I enter space, space, space, (real password), space, space and space. To my surprise, 1Password opened! I tried it on the iPhone version and it opened too. It also opened in the Safari Extension So, entering spaces at the start and end of my password does not improve the strength of it.

I trust this is an oversight.

Thanks for the wonderful apps.

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.9
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi, @theengine -- thanks for writing in! That would certainly be an oversight, yes! However, I'm unable to reproduce the error here, and I'm using the same version of 1Password 6 for Mac you are (6.8.1). Adding three spaces before my Master Password simply results in rejection of the submission; I am denied entry. I'm curious to see whether you can repeat this! Would you mind re-starting your Mac (or at least quitting 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)) and trying that again? Re-open 1Password and enter three spaces, then your actual Master Password, and see if you're allowed entry. Let us know what you discover!

• theengine
    theengine
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back so quickly Lars,

Please note it was 3 spaces before and 3 spaces afterward that I noticed cause the issue. But having tried just 3 spaces before that lets me in to. So, any number of spaces before and or after let me in!

I restarted my Mac and I still got in using spaces, and I also did Control and Option to close it and Mini and I still got in using spaces.

Entering a wrong password, even out by 1 item, does not let me in.

Hope this helps.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hey @theengine -- sorry for not being more accurate in my reply. I did try it the way you suggested (several ways, actually), and was unable to achieve the results you've been consistently getting. I think that means it's time I asked you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/386677#Comment_386677
    • Your forum username: theengine

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the Subject header.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ref: DDM-97192-512

• theengine
    theengine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Diagnostics Report send.

Support ID number is : #DDM-97192-512

Thanks again for you continued help.

• Looks like Oliver was able to help you out via email. :)

Rick

• theengine
    theengine
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, all sorted.

Thanks to you all.

• You're very welcome. Let us know if you have any more questions. We're here to help.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.