Infinite loop update (doesn't update) [see AgileBits Update information in the first post]

DaveKi
DaveKi
Community Member
edited September 2017 in Mac

AgileBits Update:
A solution has been found for this problem. Please click the Proven Solution badge to view it.

Hello, I'm trying to install the latest 1Password update, 6.8. -> 6.8.1. While doing this, I'm stuck with the Updater where I hit "Update and Relaunch" which downloads something, then tells me to hit "Install" which, again, downloads sth. at the end of which, I'm presented with the selfsame dialogue as at first ("Update and Relaunch"). Clicking results in ever the same cycle with 1P never updating.
On a related note, on my iPad 1Password demands re-authorisation of Dropbox; sends me to Dropbox where I authorise access. Having been sent back to 1P the same problem re-occurs "not authorised" etc. Another infinite loop.
Please advise. Thank you.

Addendum: Now I got a nice validation error:

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6.
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• jhpassword
    jhpassword
    Community Member

I have the same issue on Mac OS 10.12.6, trying to update 1password from 6.8 to 6.8.1.

• rshweet
    rshweet
    Community Member

Same here! Endless loop of hitting that "Update and Relaunch" button, followed by "extracting archive" then "downloading". Rinse and repeat.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DaveKi, @jhpassword, @rshweet: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble!

Are you using "security" software which may be modifying the update files that are downloaded? The error indicates that the update cannot be verified.

You can always download the latest version directly from our website:

https://1password.com/downloads/

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions!

• rshweet
    rshweet
    Community Member

Thanks! That direct link worked beautifully. Not running any "security" s/w, fwiw... Anyway, thanks again.

• Let us know if this happens again.

Thanks

Rick

• jhpassword
    jhpassword
    Community Member

AgileBits Team,

The direct download and install worked.

I am using ClamXAV to monitor my user directory but this is nothing new. In the past 1password would update without the above mentioned issue along with ClamXAV actively monitoring the user directory. The new variable to all of this is my recent upgrade to OS 10.12.6. All other updates and use of 1password have been under OS 10.11.x with ClamXAV scanning the user directory.

I hope that helps you.

All the best.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for reporting, @jhpassword -- Apple continues to tighten security in various ways, which is overall a good thing. To the degree that it causes issues with processes which previously "just worked," however, we're glad for input from users like you that help us adjust to (or at least account for) the sometimes inadvertent effects these changes have on interactions with 1Password. Glad to hear direct download worked for you!

• sylvaticus
    sylvaticus
    Community Member

I'm getting the exact same problem. I'll try to the direct download now.

• sylvaticus
    sylvaticus
    Community Member

The direct download worked. Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Great to hear, @sylvaticus! I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue. Can you tell us if you were/are using any kind of security software that might have interfered? Anti-virus? "Real-time monitoring?" Anything else?

• sylvaticus
    sylvaticus
    Community Member

The only security software I'm running at the moment is TunnelBear VPN. Nothing else, that I'm aware of.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sylvaticus -- Hmmm...I'd have been very curious to see whether turning off your VPN software would've made a difference...but I'm more concerned with making sure you're up and running, so as long as that's the case, I'm happy (if you're happy). Next time there's an update, though? If you experience a similar problem (and you have no objections), try turning off your VPN software and seeing whether that has any effect on your ability to download and install the update via 1Password's internal update mechanism. Thanks!

• sylvaticus
    sylvaticus
    Community Member

Yeah, I wish I'd thought of that. I upgraded a few apps this morning, and I've never had any problems with TunnelBear. In fact, I think I've upgraded 1Password with TB running, but I couldn't swear to it. I'll try to remember to turn it off if the problem returns with the next upgrade.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017

Sounds great @sylvaticus! :+1:

I hope you have a pleasant week. :)

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• sylvaticus
    sylvaticus
    Community Member

Likewise!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

:blush: :+1:

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• AudioHTIT
    AudioHTIT
    Community Member

I have had to do a direct download for at least the last four updates, at some point before that it worked properly. The symptom is as described above, it completes downloading and when you click on the "Update and Relaunch" button it starts downloading again (infinite loop). The direct download always works fine, and seems to be the only way to upgrade – rebooting, shutting down 1Password, etc. don't help.

This problem occurs on my Mac mini running macOS Sierra 10.12.6, I am not running any security or VPN software, and all my other software is up to date as well as I can tell. The upgrade DOES work on my MacBook with the same OS and same basic software, so something is different on the mini. My iPad & iPhone also have no problems.

As Mr. Spock once said ... 'sauce for the goose'

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2017

Hi @AudioHTIT,

Hmm. That is indeed strange. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report - 1Password Support

We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: ZPP-25374-822

• AudioHTIT
    AudioHTIT
    Community Member

Hello @Ben

Thanks for your reply, I submitted the requested report this morning with the code you provided. Thanks again for your help.

• Bruce
  • Thanks, @AudioHTIT. We'll be in touch via email soon. :)

Ben

• rshweet
    rshweet
    Community Member

And again... :) bookmarking this forum page, so i have the direct link: https://1password.com/downloads/

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

We do try to keep the updates, uh, up to date. :)

• jhpassword
    jhpassword
    Community Member

Issue still remains. direct download link and installer works. In app update gets stuck in loop.

One thing to note, the direct download presents a dialog box to quit 1 password mini before the update can be applied. This dialog does not appear with the in app process. Perhaps this is the key... the in app update should either quit mini for us behind the scenes or present us with the dialog like the direct download installer does.

I hope this helps.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jhpassword - thanks for reporting, and sorry for the trouble. We're working on a solution for the future that will prevent this. For now, if you get an endless loop of downloading but not actually updating, as reported in this thread, the solution for it is as follows:

1. Exit the 1Password updater -- just click the Cancel button.
    2. Delete 1Password from your Applications folder, As always, do not use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these can remove more data than we want them to; just drag 1Password to the Trash, empty the Trash and restart your Mac.
    3. Download the latest version of 1Password from our downloads page and run the package installer. NOTE: do not run the package installer over an existing copy of 1Password for Mac, as this can result in a Binary is improperly signed error.

Thanks to everyone for helping us identify this and stay tuned for a solution.

• jhpassword
    jhpassword
    Community Member

I have not received the "Binary is improperly signed error." Even though I did the update over the existing 1password app while it was in the Applications folder. In the future I will delete the app from the folder before launching the installer.

Thanks for the info.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jhpassword -- Binary is improperly signed isn't something you'd see as a pop-up error message; it's something we had to discover in logs in diagnostics reports from users who reported the Mini refusing connection with the main 1Password app. It doesn't appear in every case, which is why I said it can result in that error, not does in every case. Glad you didn't experience it!

• jhpassword
    jhpassword
    Community Member

thanks for the info.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jhpassword - you're quite welcome. :)

• spacewalk
    spacewalk
    Community Member

This is the updater from 6.8 to 6.8.2. It exhibits a behavior I've seen before: It downloads the update, invites me to install it, and then starts over from scratch. (My version remains at 6.8.) Please tell me what to do.

1Password Version: 6.8
    Extension Version: 4.6.11
    OS Version: 10.12.6
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

HI @spacewalk -- I've merged your thread with an identical one here, for clarity's sake. I hope that's OK. Please see the AgileBits Proven Solution earlier in this thread for explanation/instructions. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.