Safari extension stops working after Mac wakes from sleep

lancerf18
lancerf18
Community Member
edited August 2017 in Mac

1Password browser extension worked fine for years, but in the last few months the browser extension stops working (greyed out, no response) if you use safari after the Mac has gone to sleep and re-awoken. Restart the Mac and it works until the Mac goes to sleep again. I've updated everything multiple times, emptied the old extensions, etc, and nothing seems to work.

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.9
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @lancerf18,

Hrmm... that doesn't sound good. I think that this is the first such report of this I've heard of. When this happens, can you tell me if clicking the 1Password icon in your system menu bar still works? Does it start working again if you restart Safari?

Rick

• lancerf18
    lancerf18
    Community Member

System bar icon continues to work. Safari extension still does not work after a safari restart. Only on a machine restart.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hey @lancerf18 - Hmmm....curiouser and curiouser. I was unable to reproduce that behavior here. That's not to say I don't believe you, of course, just wondering whether it's something specific to your unique setup. To test that theory, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81503/safari-extension-stops-working-after-mac-wakes-from-sleep#latest
    • Your forum username: lancerf18

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the Subject line.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• TechUser
    TechUser
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Same exact behavior I am experiencing. Any ideas? The last post on this thread was August. I found that if you open 1 Password from the mini menu bar icon, the Extension will work.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TechUser - nope, unfortunately not. I am still unable to reproduce this behavior here, using 10.13.1 and 1Password for Mac 6.8.4 (that's not to say I don't believe you, just that I can't reproduce what you're seeing). If you're not using those up-to-date versions, please update your Mac in either (or both) case(s), then restart and try again. If you find you're still experiencing difficulties, that are reproducible, then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81503/safari-extension-stops-working-after-mac-wakes-from-sleep#latest
    • Your forum username: TechUser

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the title.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• TechUser
    TechUser
    Community Member

I uninstalled the Extension; then reinstalled and it now works. I do not think Safari updated to the latest version automatically. I will continue to monitor and post if the same problem continues.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TechUser: Thanks for letting us know. Glad that helped! Indeed, Safari does have extension installation issues sometimes, which can also affect updates. Just to be clear, if you install directly from our website, Safari will not (try to) update it automatically. That is only allowed with extensions through Apple's Safari Extension Gallery. You can remove the other extension and install it from there if you'd prefer that:

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

It's generally a bit behind our release since it takes some time for Apple to approve and post it, but automatic updates are more convenient. Cheers! :)

• oddtodd
    oddtodd
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

The Safari browser extension often simply stops working for me. I rarely, rarely reboot my computer and am constantly putting it to sleeping and waking it up. Safari restarts do not resolve the problem, nor does resintalling the extension.

On rare occasions, if I shut down everything and close all of my windows, I'll find a 1Password authorization page in a tab, and maybe the confirmatory dialog window. But not always. I'm using the Extension from the Gallery.

_Edit: In fact, it stopped working now -- again -- which is why I'm here. I really loathe having to reboot my computer and run through the extension re-install process again and again. _

Rebooting does resolve the problem...but come on! Shouldn't have to reboot.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @oddtodd,

Next time the 1Password extension for Safari stops working (if it does and we hope it won't), can you try opening the main 1Password app and see if it starts working after that? You might also be prompted to authorize your browser again. Let us know if that helps and sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you, especially restarting your Mac as a more disruptive workaround.

This discussion has been closed.