Disconnected an external drive before closing Knox

Hi,

on an external drive i have created an image via Knox.

Can the data within the Knox-image be damaged or can the image be damaged if the external drive is disconnected (for whatever reason) without closing the Knox-image before?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

@Higgins: Knox isn't the issue so much as disconnecting a drive from your Mac while it is still in use. Knox just uses macOS disk images, and it's always important — whether you're using Knox or not — to unmount/eject disk images and/or external drives before disconnecting (and closing any other files in use on those disks before doing so). It isn't guaranteed that you'll damage the volume, but the changes are high and I wouldn't want to risk it with my data either.

But since this involved a bit of Matroshka, it can get confusing. So I think it helps to look at it this way:

1. Are there any files in use from within the Knox disk image? If so, be sure to close those first.
    2. Eject the Knox disk image.
    3. Eject the external drive.

That will ensure that you can "cleanly" remove it without risk to your data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)