How can I use 1Password with an older version of Firefox?

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Installing an old version of 1password.

Comments

• ScottyTheMenace
    ScottyTheMenace
    Community Member
    Options

The download page you reference above doesn't seem to have all legacy versions. I just updated to 1Password 6.8.1 for macOS and it broke Firefox. (I don't upgrade Firefox because they removed cookie prompting, an essential privacy feature.) The only "legacy" version of 1Password for macOS this page has is 3.8.22.

Is there any way I can download 1Password 6.8?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The download page you reference above doesn't seem to have all legacy versions.

@ScottyTheMenace: They're about halfway down the page:

I just updated to 1Password 6.8.1 for macOS and it broke Firefox. (I don't upgrade Firefox because they removed cookie prompting, an essential privacy feature.) The only "legacy" version of 1Password for macOS this page has is 3.8.22. Is there any way I can download 1Password 6.8?

1Password 6.8 isn't a legacy version. It's just a week or so old. And it works the same as 6.8.1, which was essentially a bug fix release. To use Firefox with 1Password going forward, regardless of the version, due to changes they're making in the browser to use Native Messaging and Web Extensions, you'll need to be up to date:

https://firefox.com/
    https://1password.com/downloads/
    https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Otherwise you can use one of a number of alternative browsers. I'm rather fond of Vivaldi and Brave. I'm not sure what you mean about "cookie prompting", but most browsers — including Firefox — have fairly granular controls over cookies, especially with the help of privacy-focused extensions.

• ScottyTheMenace
    ScottyTheMenace
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I referenced in my post that, "the only 'legacy' version of 1Password for macOS this page has is 3.8.22." Unless 1Password for macOS went from version 3.8.22 to 6.8 then there has to be more legacy versions than those listed on the page. Not sure why they only list one seemingly very old one.

Whatever the last version of 1Password was that I had before yesterday, it worked in the version of Firefox that I have. That's the version of 1Password that I want. I'm not upgrading Firefox for the reasons stated and I guess I won't upgrade 1Password either. I'm perfectly happy with the setup I have.

Is there no way to get any other previous versions of 1Password? What happened to all the versions between 3.8.22 and 6.8? Did 1Password just skip over 3.9-6.7?

BTW, by "cookie prompting," I mean the browser prompts me when a site tries to set a cookie and I can choose to accept or reject it. Firefox removed that feature.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ScottyTheMenace: Aha, thanks for clarifying! :)

Thanks. I referenced in my post that, "the only 'legacy' version of 1Password for macOS this page has is 3.8.22." Unless 1Password for macOS went from version 3.8.22 to 6.8 then there has to be more legacy versions than those listed on the page. Not sure why they only list one seemingly very old one.

All 1Password for Mac releases starting with version 4.0 are under the current changelog, since they're all the same codebase.

Whatever the last version of 1Password was that I had before yesterday, it worked in the version of Firefox that I have. That's the version of 1Password that I want. I'm not upgrading Firefox for the reasons stated and I guess I won't upgrade 1Password either. I'm perfectly happy with the setup I have.

That isn't possible, since, as I mentioned above, Firefox is only using NativeMessaging now. So it sounds like you may have had an old version of the extension installed in Firefox (it's weird about updating these), which would have been using WebSockets. This isn't a long-term solution though since neither Firefox nor 1Password will not work like this in the near future.

Is there no way to get any other previous versions of 1Password? What happened to all the versions between 3.8.22 and 6.8? Did 1Password just skip over 3.9-6.7?

You can find them here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4

But that's not really going to help you. You could try an earlier extension version: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4

However, that's going to break in the near future as well. It's really best for a huge number of reasons involving 1Password, Firefox, extensions, and, ultimately, security, that you take a look at one of the many options which will allow you to stay up to date. Running outdated software is a security risk, and especially something like a web browser and 1Password, which you're ostensibly using to improve your security. Lagging behind means problems there as well as compatibility unfortunately.

BTW, by "cookie prompting," I mean the browser prompts me when a site tries to set a cookie and I can choose to accept or reject it. Firefox removed that feature.

Ah, got it. I can see why they did though. That sounds incredibly annoying. Why not disable cookies and whitelist sites you want to allow them for? You could use something like Cookie Controller. I bet there are others out there as well. Just a thought.

• ScottyTheMenace
    ScottyTheMenace
    Community Member
    Options

Like I said, I'm on an old version of Firefox. One where 1Password actually worked until I upgraded yesterday.

I actually found a previous version buried on my computer, v 6.7. It worked with my version of Firefox (42). Something that changed with the 6.8.1 upgrade made it stop working. How do I go back to 6.7, which I know worked? I remove 6.8.1 from my applications folder (zipping it up so it's no longer an "app") and move the 6.7 version of the .app file to my Applications folder. When I launch 1Password it balks that the data is too new for my version of 1Password.

I know that I run Firefox 42 and I know that it worked with at least 1Password 6.7, possibly more recent versions short of 6.8.1. So how do I go back to version 6.7?

I already checked out LastPass and they support my chosen browser, but I'd really like to stay with 1Password. I like the software a lot but I'm not going to give up an essential privacy feature in my browser to do so.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ScottyTheMenace: Ah, thank you for clarifying what you're trying to do. You can't directly downgrade to 6.7 from 6.8 because the database format was updated. You'd have to sync the data to a folder and start over with that vault.

To be clear, we're not going to support legacy browsers. 1Password is security software, and that's just asking for trouble. It's no problem if you want to do this yourself, just keep in mind that you're stranding yourself on older versions and won't be able to take advantage of the benefits of newer ones. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you if you're not wiling to try any of the alternatives. :(

• Ben
    Options

In addition to what Brenty mentioned, please be aware that by using an older browser you're also potentially locking yourself out of other important software updates. E.x. it is possible that the version of Firefox you've chosen to stick with will not be compatible with the next version of macOS. It can very easily become a vicious cycle, where you may be missing important security updates.

I don't say this to change your mind, but to make sure you're aware of what you're committing to by using older unpatched software.

Ben

• ScottyTheMenace
    ScottyTheMenace
    Community Member
    Options

I'm well aware of the issues. And no, I'm not using some crappy local folder sync and eliminating my ability to use 1Password on my phone. 1Password was working 2 days ago just fine. All I wanted was to go back to what was working. It's clear that there is no way because you basically destroyed my data without making it clear that the new version would not support my browser. Such a shame. I really like 1Password. I've now switched to LastPass, which works just fine. And, yes, I know all about the "it may not work at some point in the future" stuff so no need to pipe in.

This is why I can't stand forum support. I ask a simple question and you get everyone's opinion on how I should do things, which I never asked for.

I'll leave you guys to it. I'm not a 1Password customer anymore so I won't be back here. Talk amongst yourselves.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ScottyTheMenace: I'm not suggesting that you use that to sync on an ongoing basis. You asked how to revert to 6.7, and you'll need to do that to get your vault to use there (since the internal 6.8 database is not backward compatible. You should try that.

This discussion has been closed.