Feature Request: New field type - "Secret"

CraigsOverItAll
CraigsOverItAll
Community Member

As website/services improve their security it is common to have backup email address, recovery keys, emergency codes, secret questions (and answer) to keep track of.

I've been adding a section usually called "Secret"s but the problem is that unless I use the Password field type - I can't have these values automatically concealed.

I'd like to propose adding a "Secret" type to the list of fields, with the sole function being concealing the contents when 1Password is set to "Conceal Passwords"

The problem with using the Password field is the "Regenerate Password" button that is attached to password fields.

Typically these secrets are not things you want to regenerate at all, an the close placement of the button can result in unwanted regeneration (yes this has happened in our household).

Cheers
Craig

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017

Hi @CraigsOverItAll - thanks so much for the well-thought out suggestion! I use this feature myself on a somewhat-regular basis, and it tends to work fine for me, but I can certainly see what a disaster inadvertently clicking the "regenerate" key might potentially be.

I'll definitely run this past our developers, but in the meantime, here's a suggestion for you: if you are using a 1Password account, you can use individual item history to view and restore previous versions of items in 1Password accounts. Thanks again for the suggestion, and have a great rest of your day!

ref: OPM-2792

• CraigsOverItAll
    CraigsOverItAll
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Thanks @Lars ☺️ — several points I'd like to mention.

1. sometimes the user is unaware of the regeneration when it happens (esp. people that don't live in 1Password like you & I do)
    2. the previous password list only shows the date of change and not which password field was changed… which makes it difficult if you didn't know the old password in the first place.
    3. the previous password list can get quite long:

Cheers
    Craig

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@CraigsOverItAll -- Thanks for the follow-up. I agree, it's something we could lay out better than is currently the case, and I've logged your request with our developers. The good news here is that there is always a "trail" of what has been used in the past, so a password is never truly lost, which is the important thing. Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.