suggestion

traugott
traugott
Community Member

This is a minor change that would make life easier. I sometimes find that an entry for a new site shows up with just password info, and I need to convert it to a login. The correct login is, nine times out of ten, my email address. Since 1password already knows my email address, could it show up in the login field by default whenever I do an "Edit" to convert to a login (with, of course, the option to enter something else, if appropriate)?

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.10.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Secret Key (and a suggestion)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@traugott: I don't think this is something 1Password should do, but it's something we can consider for the future. It may be true that usually your email address is the username you use, but that is not the case for everyone or all websites. And both iOS and macOS already have a text replacement feature that can do this for you. Definitely check that out. Cheers! :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Apple Support article about the text replacement feature for macOS can be found here:

macOS Sierra: Replace text and punctuation in documents

• traugott
    traugott
    Community Member

The link you provided, Brenty, does show how to solve the problem for ios but not for OS X. I could not find documentation on how to get a text replacement function (or autocorrect or predictive text) to permit me to fill a field in a 1password window. If you have such a link, please post it. Maybe I'm not understanding your reasons for not including the capability for a default loginID in 1password, but it seems to me that the user could choose whatever login they use most often (not just an email address) and, if that is not appropriate for a specific site, typing in the alternative would take no more time than typing it in from scratch.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @traugott -- did you see @sjk's follow-up article? That's the one specifically tailored to macOS. Note: this is NOT OS X; it looks as if you're still rocking El Capitan. You'd need to upgrade to macOS for this to be relevant for you. Thanks again for the suggestion. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

And there's a similar Apple Support article for El Capitan:

OS X El Capitan: Text pane of Keyboard preferences

This discussion has been closed.