Logging into UK bank account websites

I'm new so slowly learning 1Password over last few days.

This doesn't seem at all possible - is it?

There's a 2 step/page login process

page 1 you need to enter your personal ID
page 2 you need to enter 3 characters from both your password and your security number but the items [in square brackets] change dynamically for each login e.g.

Enter the [1st], [6th] and [10th] characters of your Password
Enter the [4th], [5th] and [2nd] numbers of your 5-digit Security Number

Can this be solved? Obviously bank details is one of those accounts you most want to keep secure!

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.1 (681006)
Extension Version: 4.6.10.90
OS Version: OSX 10.12.6 (16G29)
Sync Type: don't know

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@thehomme: This isn't something 1Password can automate (it's even hard for me to manage this, and I understand it!), but 1Password 6 has a Large Text feature that may be useful to you:

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• thehomme
    thehomme
    Community Member

Yes thanks. I had seen Large Text and thought it was an accessibility feature but now understand it's purpose better. It seems like I'd use 1P to store the details but ultimately it's a manual "look up and fill in" process.

So I go to add a Bank Account type record and customise the fields as I need them for my UK bank. Then look up the info as required. Correct?

Appreciate the decent customer support.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

Hi @thehomme,

It is a neat feature isn't it. It is meant to serve two purposes. One is for accessibility in that it's easier to see the colour differences for digits and symbols, something that wasn't as easy when simply viewing the password but we also added the index specifically to help with weird sites that ask for characters x, y & z from a password.

I actually add additional custom password fields to my bank Login item. The reason why is that when I'm on the site 1Password will automatically match the Login item making it easy to locate it. My workflow is something along the lines of.

1. Navigate to bank login page.
    2. Use the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ to fill the first page.
    3. Proceed to the second where they ask for the individual characters.
    4. Use the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ to open 1Password mini.
    5. With my bank Login item highlighted, use the keyboard shortcut ⌘O to anchor the item to the screen.
    6. Use the large type option to get the indexed password, moving the window if necessary (it's draggable).
    7. Click on the browser so the page has focus and use the keyboard and tab if required to enter the characters and move focus to the next box.

I find it works pretty well and by anchoring the window the large type view won't disappear until you dismiss the anchored window. Of course it's all about finding the workflow that works best for you, this is just my preference.

• thehomme
    thehomme
    Community Member

Loads of brilliant tips there. Had no idea about all those key commands. The ⌘O to anchor the item to the screen is brilliant. Thank you so much

• Greetings @thehomme,

Learning about some of the keyboard shortcuts was an eye opener for me too :smile: If you like those you will probably find our page 1Password keyboard shortcuts a wealth of information.

This discussion has been closed.