Shortcut "Fill Login on current Web Page" sometimes not available

I'm using 1password with Chrome 60.0.3112.113 on mac.
My current shortcut configuration:

The problem is, sometimes "command \" does not work. I have to use "option command \". But strangely, i can find the right login for me, and hitting enter will insert the username and password. so i figure that 1password could detect the website and form.

This happens sometimes. Even on a same website, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Restarting 1password surely helps.

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.10.90
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: Subscribed account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hotpxl - The ⌘\ command matches by a hash of the saved URL, compared against the page in question. If they're too dissimilar, you won't get results with that command. ⌥⌘\ is different; it works to simply open the mini. From there, you can search for whatever login you wish.

There are a couple of approaches to this -- you can try visiting Preferences > Browsers and enabling the box marked Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites (AKA: lenient URL matching). This may solve the issue for you. Alternatively, you can examine the URL you have saved for any problematic logins, and compare it to the actual URL of the login page you land on when you click "login" (or whatever) on that website's page. If what you have saved is too dissimilar from what's actually on the page, you may wish to either add a second URL to the login item (just copy and paste it into a new URL space in 1Password), or actually change the existing one you have for that record. Let us know how it goes!

• hotpxl
    hotpxl
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I think the problem is, even on the same page, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. For example PayPal login page (https://www.paypal.com/signin?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US) or bankofamerica home page (https://www.bankofamerica.com/).

And by using 'option command \', I mean hitting that combination, and the correct item will come up directly highlighted. I do not have to search for anything, I can just hit enter. So that's why I figured 1Password knows the page at all (and which password to fill), but somehow failed to do it so for 'command \'.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hotpxl - thanks for the clarification. Can you tell me what the URL you have actually saved in 1Password is for these sites? Is it the very same URL, or does it differ? Please don't post it if it contains personally-identifying information encoded in the string.

• hotpxl
    hotpxl
    Community Member

yes, for example when i visit bank of america, my browser points to https://www.bankofamerica.com/, and the entry in 1password is https://bankofamerica.com/

when i go to paypal login page, browser points to https://www.paypal.com/signin?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US, and the entry in 1password is https://paypal.com/

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

If you duplicate these Logins that are giving you trouble so that there are two Logins to choose from, does Command-\ reliably prompt you to choose which Login to use? I'm trying to ascertain if there's an issue with the connection to 1Password or if something is happening inside of 1Password after it has the URL for the current page.

• hotpxl
    hotpxl
    Community Member

Sorry for the late reply. I think it might be the connection issue between mini and 1password itself. Sometimes (very rare) I observed that while the 1password app will ask me for master password, i could just hit command+\ and mini will display items for me.

Also sometimes when this happens (unable to automatically fill in), if I start 1password app manually and then switch back, I can automatic fill in again.

• hotpxl
    hotpxl
    Community Member

I am wondering if this happens next time, if there is any way I could check connection with the main app. Is there a log somewhere?

• hotpxl
    hotpxl
    Community Member

OK. I paid extra attention today. Every time this happens, if I open 1Password main app and try again, it works. Strangely the mini app is always on in the taskbar.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hotpxl: That is really odd. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your computer, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#NZT-47229-253]

If you’re reading this and you are not hotpxl, this Support ID is for hotpxl only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: NZT-47229-253

• hotpxl
    hotpxl
    Community Member

Sure. The problem is this happens nondeterministically. So if next time this happens, is it too late to fire up the diagnostic app after it happens?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hotpxl: Oh, not at all. That would be perfect. It just sounded like it was happening to you frequently. Certainly if you run into the issue again, we'd love to have a look. :)

• hotpxl
    hotpxl
    Community Member

It just happened again. I caught a diagnostics and sent to support email.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hotpxl - Thanks! Someone will be with you shortly. :)

ref: NZT-47229-253

• jmarr
    jmarr
    Community Member

Any updates on this issue? It's recently been happening to me on a daily basis (but not every time).

I'll be at a login prompt and hitting ⌘\ will do nothing. Hitting ⌥⌘\ will bring up 1Password mini. In that scenario, almost, if not always I have to enter my master password. Once unlocked, 1Password shows the site's login and I select it and it autofills. I'm pretty sure I've only run into this in Chrome (I use Safari and Chrome about equally). I'm running 1Password 6.8.6 686003 from the Mac App Store on macOS 10.12.6.

Now that I've seen this thread, I'll capture diagnostics the next time it happens. Let me know if there's a Support ID I can reference when submitting the diagnostics.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jmarr: No updates, as this thread is the only handful of reports of users with issues with something interfering with keyboard shortcuts on macOS this past year. And it depends entirely on what other software you have that could be preventing the default shortcut from working. Have you tried setting it to something else?

• jmarr
    jmarr
    Community Member

@brenty I have not tried another shortcut, but I can give it a shot. It's strange that it only happens in Chrome though. I'm also 95% sure it only happens when 1Password is locked (but it's definitely not ever time it's locked).

In fact, after my post earlier today, I got in a state where I came back to my computer, unlocked the screen and ⌘\ did not work in Chrome. I immediately went to the same page in Safari and ⌘\ did work in Safari (brining up the 1Password screen to enter my master password). I captured the diagnostics, which I'm happy to send in if you think it would help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jmarr: Thank for letting me know. It sounds like 1Password may be losing the connection to Chrome, perhaps due to an update or extension there. Which versions of Chrome and the extension are you running? I'm definitely curious to see if another key combination can work for you there. Hang onto the diagnostics, as we may need them. :)

• jmarr
    jmarr
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

Just confirmed it's not a shortcut thing. I swapped the shortcuts for "Show 1Password mini" and "Fill Login on current web page". I went to a page in Chrome where I would have to sign in and ⌥⌘\ did not fill the login, but ⌘\ brought up 1Password mini.

• jmarr
    jmarr
    Community Member

1Password Chrome Extension Version 4.6.12.90
    Google Chrome Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official Build) (64-bit), which it says is Up to Date

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jmarr: Great! Thanks for confirming. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something simple before we head down the rabbit hole. ;)

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#RSS-16367-125]

If you’re reading this and you are not jmarr, this Support ID is for jmarr only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: RSS-16367-125

• jmarr
    jmarr
    Community Member

Just had it happen again and I submitted a diagnostic report.

• jmarr
    jmarr
    Community Member

Ah ha! It seems to be triggered by opening the Authy Chrome Extension.

If I click the Authy icon in the Chrome toolbar and then quit Authy, cmd-\ for autofill works.

However, I have the Authy icon saved in my Dock and if I launch it from there (or via LaunchBar) and then quit it, cmd-\ for autofill fails.

But, if I then switch to any other app for a few seconds and then go back to Chrome, cmd-\ works. I'm guessing the fact that Authy is a Chrome Web App might have something to do with it. It's also very strange that it works okay if launched from the Chrome toolbar, but not by other means.

Hope this helps track down what's going on and let me know if you need any additional information.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jmarr: That's very helpful! Thank you! Do you mean this?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/authy/gaedmjdfmmahhbjefcbgaolhhanlaolb

If so, I think I might know why this hasn't come up before. 1Password has built-in TOTP support:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

Have you tried that? Might kill two birds with one stone (or something — maybe that's a bad metaphor).

We've been aware of bugs relating to Chrome's built-in password manager causing single-clicks to fail (only double-clicks work after triggering both it and 1Password), so this is something we'll have to look into further as well.

• jmarr
    jmarr
    Community Member

Yep, that's the one. However, I just discovered Authy now has a native Mac app. I installed that and things seem to be working okay now.

I'm aware that 1Password has built-in support for two-factor authentication, but I've just been a bit hesitant to use the same app for storing my passwords and for two-factor authentication. Right now I have Authy protected by a completely separate password that isn't stored in 1Password.

Thanks for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yep, that's the one. However, I just discovered Authy now has a native Mac app. I installed that and things seem to be working okay now.

@jmarr: Ah, gotcha. Thanks for letting me know! I actually wasn't aware that they had a Mac app either. :lol:

I'm aware that 1Password has built-in support for two-factor authentication, but I've just been a bit hesitant to use the same app for storing my passwords and for two-factor authentication. Right now I have Authy protected by a completely separate password that isn't stored in 1Password. Thanks for your help!

Sure thing! I totally get where you're coming from, but I think it's worth considering that, as far as I know, Auth doesn't secure this stuff to the extent 1Password does. I've used it extensively myself, but moved my TOTP codes to 1Password since it's not only available on all the platforms I use, but also secured with my Master Password using strong encryption, and I also find it's easier to work with if I ever change my mind and want to export those to use somewhere else again. Just my two cents. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.