Some suggestions for improvements

Happy2Help
Happy2Help
Community Member

Some suggestions based on personal use. Apologies if these actually exist already or suggested before and in development!

1. An easier way to automate a password exchange when you wish to update your cloud storage password. For example, I use iCloud to sync my 1Password database. If I generate a new iCloud password in the 1Password iOS app (while away from home), then use that new password to update the account in appleid.apple.com, that will of course break the iCloud connectivity of my Macs at home (that uses the same iCloud account). I'll have to manually enter the new iCloud password on my Mac before it can sync the 1Password database. I could probably sync using a cable, but couldn't something like a one time (self deleting) QR code be a good alternative? i.e. hold up the phone to the Mac camera to update a password field, or perhaps auto-types the password on the Mac preferences for iCloud? QR codes in general would be great for sharing Wi-Fi passwords and such.

2. I have multiple generated passwords saved in 1Password for a login that were never actually used (the generated recipie did not conform to their requirements). I would appreciate if we could remove individual 'previously used passwords', in the same manner as we can remove other fields.

3. Make it easier to edit existing passwords, or newly created generated ones

4. Password generator improvements:

• When you create a new Login e.g. for AgileBits, the password type defaults to 'Words' and displays the length of the password. However if you 'show password recipie', you lose the length but are shown the word count. This is not useful as web sites have a character lenth, this should still be shown in this view.
  • We should have more options for the Words generator, i.e. have a number and special characters as seperator and also have first letter for each word as a capital. This would satisfy most site requirements as well as making it memorable
  • The ability for 1Password to glean the password format based on the existing one. There is legacy software out there that has as little as 8 character limits for passwords and as such, we should change these passwords more often, so this should be made easy in 1Password. A 'generate new password based on existing' button would be great.
  • Would be great to have a customised generator, since some sites have more complex requirements than others. Something like: --...
  1. Customise the length of time the clipboard is cleared

2. Ability to chose the default password recipe

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.3.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @Happy2Help,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! I'll try to address each of your points individually:

An easier way to automate a password exchange when you wish to update your cloud storage password. For example, I use iCloud to sync my 1Password database. If I generate a new iCloud password in the 1Password iOS app (while away from home), then use that new password to update the account in appleid.apple.com, that will of course break the iCloud connectivity of my Macs at home (that uses the same iCloud account). I'll have to manually enter the new iCloud password on my Mac before it can sync the 1Password database. I could probably sync using a cable, but couldn't something like a one time (self deleting) QR code be a good alternative? i.e. hold up the phone to the Mac camera to update a password field, or perhaps auto-types the password on the Mac preferences for iCloud? QR codes in general would be great for sharing Wi-Fi passwords and such.

I don't believe this is currently possible. macOS does not have an API that is accessible by 3rd party developers to fill fields such as the iCloud password field.

I have multiple generated passwords saved in 1Password for a login that were never actually used (the generated recipie did not conform to their requirements). I would appreciate if we could remove individual 'previously used passwords', in the same manner as we can remove other fields.

Thanks for the suggestion. This is a case of playing it "better safe than sorry." It is possible we'll change that mindset in the future.

Make it easier to edit existing passwords, or newly created generated ones

What difficulty are you having doing this?

When you create a new Login e.g. for AgileBits, the password type defaults to 'Words' and displays the length of the password. However if you 'show password recipie', you lose the length but are shown the word count. This is not useful as web sites have a character lenth, this should still be shown in this view.

Words passwords are great for passwords that you'll have to type, but if you're creating a password for a site where that isn't the case you may be better served by a characters password, especially if they have complex requirements.

It seems the minimum password requirement in most cases is not more than 16 characters, and many 3 word passwords would meet that. I'd go as far as to say most 4 word passwords would.

We should have more options for the Words generator, i.e. have a number and special characters as seperator and also have first letter for each word as a capital. This would satisfy most site requirements as well as making it memorable

Thanks for the feedback. :)

The ability for 1Password to glean the password format based on the existing one. There is legacy software out there that has as little as 8 character limits for passwords and as such, we should change these passwords more often, so this should be made easy in 1Password. A 'generate new password based on existing' button would be great.

I'm not sure it is true that a regularly changed password would actually be more secure? Additionally I'm sure we don't want to encourage the behavior of using 8 character passwords.

Would be great to have a customised generator, since some sites have more complex requirements than others. Something like: --...

I don't follow. What do you mean by "--..."? Are we talking Morse code here? ;) Please let me know.

Customise the length of time the clipboard is cleared

Unfortunately this adds a layer of complexity that we're not looking to add.

Ability to chose the default password recipe

Thanks. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.