Options for tray icon clicking behavior? (Windows)

JohnAJ
edited September 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

For a very long time, normal behavior for many Windows tray icons has been to do nothing when clicked once, open the program when double-clicked and open a context menu when right-clicked.

Now, this seems to be changing in Windows 10, as all of Microsoft's own tray icons open on a single click. It usually doesn't hurt to click twice, though. Except in 1password, it does hurt! The first click opens the Mini interface, whereupon the second click selects an item in the list and opens the browser and tries to log into that website.

Providing configurable options for what should happen on a single click, a double click and a right-click, respectively, would solve this, and it would make everyone happy. This is already common among primarily tray-based Windows programs.

In the meantime, a quick fix would be to make sure that the Mini window isn't opened in such a way that another click would select an item - perhaps the window could be opened above the mouse pointer, when opened through the tray?

This is especially frustrating, as selecting an item from the Mini window also overwrites the current browser tab with the item's website, which could potentially destroy unsaved changes.

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:windows double click tray icon

Comments

• Hey @JohnAJ! Since 1Password 6 needs to work with touch screens as well, we've generally tried to stay away from double-click so I wouldn't expect any changes here, at least not any time soon, but I did go ahead and pass along your feedback. :+1: Right now, though, I can share a tip to address your pain point. If you drag and drop the 1Password icon out of the notification area flyout to your taskbar, your mouse will no longer be over a login when it opens. It will close when you double-click, but at least you won't be opening a login overwriting whatever you're working. :chuffed:

• @bundtkate Thanks for your help! I also appreciate your tip - it works very well in the meantime :chuffed:

• bundtkate
    edited September 2017

@johnAJ: No problem at all! You can thank @SergeyTheAgile for the tip -- he shared it with me when I was asking about your issue. Even though it seems perfectly obvious now, it had simply never occurred to me to drag an icon out of there. I've actually done the same now as the flyout closing on me has irked me in the past, so my life has changed for the better too, thanks to your question. :wink:

This discussion has been closed.