To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

syncing data across multiple devices - just set up a new account

Options

I'm totally confused. I've been using onepassword for several years on my PC - works great. I now want to make sure that I can access onepassword (and all of my data) using my ipad, iphone (and for future any other computers I have). So I went ahead and paid for an annual subscription. Now I have absolutely no idea what to do - it seems like I've got a new account and need to migrate data over which I don't want to do (I'll be absolutely lost if I lose all of the data in my existing onepassword account on my PC). The instructions just weren't very clear (at least for someone with my lack of technical know-how). Can someone please help me figure out how to make sure the subscription I just bought is associated with my existing account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:syncing data across multiple devices

Comments

• bundtkate
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hey @williams_sarah_e, thanks for writing in! When you migrate your data to a new 1Password account, it doesn't remove it from your PC, so it'll be there for you throughout the whole process. Promise. Since you mentioned you're on a PC, I presume you're using 1Password 4 for Windows. If you're not, just stop here and let me know. If you are using 1Password 4, I can walk you through and your data will stay available in 1Password 4 the entire time until we confirm it has moved over. Here's what you'll need to do:

1. Install 1Password 6 for Windows from here and sign in to your account. Keep 1Password 6 open.
    2. Open and unlock 1Password 4 for Windows and click Preferences. You'll see a file path next to 1Password Vault on this screen. Keep this open as well since we'll need it. You can even move this window so that you can watch your data in 1Password 4 while we're importing everything if it will make you feel better. :chuffed:
    3. Swap back over to 1Password 6 and choose Settings (cog wheel) > Import.
    4. Click AgileKeychain or OPVault folder.
    5. Click Select a folder ..., navigate to that filepath shown in 1Password 4, and click Ok.
    6. In the field below that, enter the Master Password for that vault.
    7. Choose the vault you want your data to import into from the dropdown menu, and click Import.

Once completed, you should see all of your data from 1Password 4 appear in 1Password 6. If you haven't already, sign into your account on your iOS devices and make sure you see everything there as well. If everything is where it belongs, you're all done and can safely uninstall 1Password 4. :+1:

Of course, if you any questions at all along the way, don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help. :chuffed:

ref: HWT-12556-265

• williams_sarah_e
    williams_sarah_e
    Community Member
    Options

OK - this is amazing and worked fantastically!! I've got one more question for you (or one and a half!) I've got an extension on my browser that I use to log into one password. Once I uninstall Password 4 will this extension still work or will I need a new one. And other question - how do I install the extensions on my ipad? Thx!

• @williams_sarah_e That's great to hear! On behalf of Kate, you're welcome. :) The extension will work with 1Password 6 — no need to uninstall that as well. Just remove the old app and you'll be all set. To use the extension on your iPad, enable it in Safari:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.