Can the CLI use local `*.opvault` vaults?

mikeboers
mikeboers
Community Member

Howdy!

I love the CLI so far, but having a bit of a hard time self-discovering all it can do.

I have 1Password.com accounts with a few of my clients, but my personal use remains in local *.opvault files synched via Dropbox. Old-school, I know.

Are they supported?

Thanks,

Mike

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mikeboers, Glad you're taking such an interest in the tool :) There's currently no support for standalone vaults with the CLI, it's a client for the 1Password.com service.

• Endareth
    Endareth
    Community Member

I'm seconding Mike's request: 90% of my 1Password data remains in standalone vaults. While the account-based system is convenient for light usage scenarios, it's still a ways off being able to replace standalone vaults for me. Would really really like to see the CLI extended to handle.

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

@Endareth Thanks for the vote! For now the focus will remain on 1Password.com as that's where the most automation potential lies for administrators, but we'll always keep our options open for the future. In the meantime, there are several open-source .opvault CLI tools floating around GitHub that you may be interested in.

• blalor
    blalor
    Community Member

Another vote for this. I don't use the 1Password.com services, so the CLI is useless to me. :-(

• There exist tools already that allow access to OPVaults. The specifications for OPVault are openly available and relatively straight forward to implement. In the case of 1Password.com, our thought was that even if we open up the specifications (something we'd like to do, beyond the whitepaper), the barrier for creating an implementation is really high. 1Password.com is a much more complex machine (as it's capable of a lot more than OPVault).

Rick

• jceelen
    jceelen
    Community Member

+1 :-) that would me awesome!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's not something we have plans for since, as Rick mentioned, there are already tools out there that can read local vaults, as they're an open format. But thanks for letting us know it's something you'd like us to do in the future as well! :)

• bcoates
    bcoates
    Community Member

Since there will be no support for standalone opvaults what libraries would you recommend from GitHub?

• There's quite a few, and I would hesitate to recommend one in particular. The reason for that is simply that I don't have the time to do the full code analysis to make sure that I would trust it enough to enter my Master Password into. It's very likely that most are just fine, and I don't mean to scare anyone... I just don't want to look like I'm endorsing one officially without carefully looking at what it does with one of my most important secrets.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.