Organizing Vaults

Options

I use 1Password on multiple devices and now have probably 6 or more different collections of passwords (I used more or less each machine for different areas). In the future I'd like to use less machines but one for more purpose. So I'd like to get the "Vaults" together (I assume with import) but would also like to have still 3 - 4 different ones as even with the tags I don't want to see them all in the overview, depending on what I'm doing.
I just signed up now for the online and installed V6, but did not find out, how to create multiple Vaults (don't have a menu option) and would also love to Tag all items from one device quickly with the device name, so I know where that came from in the beginning. I also did not find anything to this in the forum.
Hope the question is clear and looking forward to your feedback.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: 1 password
Referrer: forum-search:organizing vaults

Comments

• MikeT
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi @hogue79,

Thanks for writing in.

At the moment, all vault management is done on the 1Password.com's admin console; once you create a new vault there, 1Password apps will instantly update to show you the new vault. Check our support article here on how to manage your vaults.

In this case, I would recommend using vaults as your tags and use tags to organize your items within each vaults. 1Password has the All Vaults concept where you can view all items from all vaults and, soon, you'll have options in 1Password 6 for Windows to exclude certain vaults from All Vaults. A common example is an archival vault, you can create one to archive items you no longer use and then exclude it from All Vaults, so that you won't see it all the time but you can always visit it by selecting it in the vault menu.

As for your device organization, you could import the data from each device into its own vault, manually copy/move them into the personal vault before you can delete them.

This discussion has been closed.