How to get rid of the Primary Vault (and should I?)

JuliaA
JuliaA
Community Member

Hi there,

I had 1P since ... ever, and my private data is in the Primary vault. We share some company data through a secondary vault. And I have recently upgraded to a 1P subscription, so that data is in a Personal vault.

Last Sunday, I cleaned up my Primary vault (that used to sync via Dropbox) and moved everything I wanted to keep over to the Personal vault (that syncs via 1P.com).

To keep everything neat and tidy, I though I could delete the Primary vault, but there doesn’t seem to be an option. I have unchecked it on the Mac, and now also on iOS. Hence my questions:

1. Can I delete the Primary vault, since it no longer contains any data?
  2. If not, what’s the point of keeping that vault around? It’s seems a bit confusing, since 1P.com set up that Personal vault for me now that I use exclusively.

Question goes for both Mac and iOS, since it seems the Mac’s settings are not synced to iOS and I have to make sure that new stuff on iOS gets saved to the Personal vault by default, and no longer to the now deprecated Primary vault.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

Hi @JuliaA -- thanks for writing in! The reason you can't delete your Primary vault is because it's not your only local vault. Primary is the first vault created when you begin using 1Password to create local vaults; it's the default vault everyone has if they're not using a 1Password account. In order for you to be able to delete it, you'd first have to delete your additional secondary vault.

Now, if your company is not using 1Password Teams, but instead sharing data via a shared Dropbox vault, then what you could do is transfer all of the company data in the shared secondary vault into your Primary vault, then delete the secondary after it's empty. If you want to do this, the steps would be as follows:

• Make sure your Primary vault is empty: deal with any remaining items however you see fit, so you can delete them and make it empty before proceeding.
    • In 1Password for Mac, go to Preferences > Sync and turn OFF sync (i.e. - set drop-down menu to "None") for both the Primary and secondary vault.
    • Open the secondary (work) vault, select all items and move them (not copy) to the Primary vault.
    • With the secondary vault still selected in the Vault menu (i.e. - don't switch away to All Vaults, etc), go to the 1Password menu at the top of your screen and choose Delete __(name of vault)__ vault to delete the now-empty secondary vault.
    • Switch to the Primary vault, return to Preferences > Sync and toggle the drop-down menu back to Dropbox. Make very sure to choose the existing sync keychain you were using previously in the secondary vault to sync with; do not write out a new keychain, or you won't be keeping that data in sync with your co-workers.

That should take care of it, leaving you with what you were shooting for initially -- your 1Password account and only one local vault, shared with your co-workers, via Dropbox.

ref: HAF-19675-641

This discussion has been closed.