Are We No Longer Able to Organize into Folders?

Options

May be a silly question, but, after creating a 1Password account, and migrating to a new vault, and yes, deleting the old vault, there does not seem (at least I can't find it) to be a way to add "Folders" to the 1Password listing. In the old vault (Dropbox sync) I was able to have folders like: Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Online Forums, Healthcare Sites, etc., etc. Now there's just one very long "Logins" with all my passwords. The folder organization was really helpful. Am I missing something?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Homer -- no, you're not missing anything; 1password.com accounts do not have folder capability, due to the way the 1password.com servers are configured. Instead, with your 1Password account, you can use Favorites and Tags to organize your data. You can give credit card login records a "credit card" tag, for example, and then use the credit card tag as a virtual folder.

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, now that is slick with a capitol "S." Assigned a few "Forums" tags to a number of items and they now all appear under that tag heading. Don't think I'm going to miss the "folder" thing at all. Been using 1Password for more years than I can to remember and you folks always have a solution to every issue/question that comes up. Thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Homer -- thanks for the kind words; it means a lot to us. A fair number of people here work very hard to make 1Password the best it can be, and while we appreciate ALL feedback (the criticism helps us improve), the kudos are definitely easier to hear, and they let us know users are loving 1Password. So thanks again, and drop by anytime you have questions or issues! Cheers! :)

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member
    Options

You're welcome. Now, for those of us that are not programmers, everything is just a matter of adding a few lines of code. How hard can it be? Just kidding, Electrical Engineer by profession, so to me, code is a mystery. But, now that I've added a few "Tags", how hard would it be to have the "Tag" item (when you edit an item) become a drop down menu once we've added a few tags of our own. That way, every time I came to an item that was, say "Banking" you could just drop the menu list, and "Banking" would already be one of the choices. Sure would make it easier than having to type (for those of us that still type with two fingers, and two fingers only) in the particular tag list name that we wanted the item to be listed under. Just a thought. Like I said, how hard could it be? If I knew how to insert one of those happy smiley face things, it would be here.

• @Homer,

everything is just a matter of adding a few lines of code. How hard can it be? Just kidding

Ha! Thanks for the laugh on a Friday. ;)

how hard would it be to have the "Tag" item (when you edit an item) become a drop down menu once we've added a few tags of our own

A drop down menu would possibly be very convenient for someone who has a handful of tags. But imagine those of us who have 150+ tags. Scrolling through that list would be ... well, not so convenient. :)

At least in 1Password for Mac tags will auto-complete. That way if you have a tag called "Banking" and you start typing "Ba" in the tag field... it should pop up with "Banking" for you.

Thanks for the feedback! Have a great weekend.

Ben

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member
    Options

OK, now this issue could cause me to go back to using the Dropbox vault and the previous versions of 1Password.

Organized my logins by Banking, Healthcare, Forums, etc. All seems well in the 1Password app. Not so much in the 1Password extension. Tags do not exist in the extension. If I type Banking in the search field of the extension then in fact all the logins that are tagged Banking do come up, but this seems to be a band aid approach. I would expect to see a Tags menu in the browser extension that drops down and allows me to choose a login from any of the tag categories that I have created. Seems that I keep running into issues that only became issues once I switched to a 1Password account rather than the old Dropbox vault version.

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member
    Options

After being on my PC laptop (morning coffee, retired and loving it) I went to do some work on the iMac. Low and behold, there is a "Tags" menu in the browser of 1Password for the Mac. Perfect! I guess I can wait for the PC version to catch up. Having purchased my first Macintosh way back in 1984, waiting for the PC to catch up has been a way of life.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Homer - to be clear, it's not that we love PCs (or 1Password for Windows) less. But 1Password began life as a Mac application simply because that's what the two founders - Dave and Roustem - used, so that's what they created. It wasn't long before we had enough requests from the user community that we knew we had to design and build a Windows version as well -- and we have. But although 1Password for Windows has come a long way since the earliest days, it's always been a younger product than 1Password for Mac, which means less-critical features like this one are further down the list and therefore later to arrive. Don't worry; our goal is feature parity, but for now, it's not quite yet a reality. Stay tuned! :)

This discussion has been closed.