Is it possible for Family members to convert their 1Password accounts to individual accounts?

Options
willy_mayers
willy_mayers
Community Member

My "kids" are post-college, and a college senior, but I'd like to get them started with 1Password. If they decide, in the future, that they don't want to be a part of our 1Password Family, can they migrate their information to an individual account, or to another Family Account?

And on a similar line of thought, do I understand correctly that as the account "owner", I would have access to all of the 1Password data? That isn't really information that I want to have, and may well not be information that they want to share with me... and the same would go for my wife, I suspect.

Thanks, in advance, for any clarification!

1Password Version: 'Haven't signed on yet.
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Is it possible to switch from a Family account to an individual account?

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi there @willy_mayers :)
    I can completely understand your concern as one of those "kids" myself. Fortunately you are mistaken about something. Family account "owners" do no have access to everything. Every member of the family has their own personal vault that only they can access. Even as the family organizer, you have no access to the information in their personal vaults.

The purpose of the Family Account is to facilitate sharing. There is the shared vault that everyone in the family has access to where anyone can share things that they want the entire family to have. Emergency information like life insurance or what not. Members can also make vaults that they share only with specific people. For example, you could make a vault that only you and your wife have access to. It can contain, for example, a login for a shared bank account. You could access it, but your kids could not. If they wanted to shared things amongst themselves and not you, they could do that too. But your personal vault is your personal vault. Nobody but you, not family organizers, not the account owner, not even AgileBits themselves, have access to your personal vault. It is yours and yours alone.

As for your first question, if they eventually decide for whatever reason they no longer want to be a part of the family account they could make their own individual account and migrate their data to it, yes. That would mean losing the ability to share anything with you or have you share anything with them, though.

Hope that clears things up. Let me know if you have any more questions. :)
    Corey

• willy_mayers
    willy_mayers
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent, Corey. Thanks very much for the speedy and thorough response.... And it was just what I was hoping for, as well!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Glad I could be of service. Let me know if you need anything else. Enjoy 1Password.

:+1: :)

• Hi @will_mayers - I'm glad the information Corey_C provided helped :smile:

As a Family Organizer of the account, you have the ability to manage the other family members, access to the billing page and account settings. Each family member by default receives a Private & Shared vault. Private vaults can only be accessed by that member, not by you or anyone else. All members also get access to a Shared vault, and you can create additional vaults to share with specific members and manage things a bit more. I would highly recommend promoting your wife to a Family Organizer as well. She will then have the superpowers to recover accounts in case you lose or forget your Secret Key or Master Password, your wife can come to the rescue and recover your account.

It's great to hear your children will be using 1Password :+1: My son is only 10 months so I have a little bit of time, we need to get through the teething stage first. When you children are ready to have their own separate account, they will have the ability to migrate any data from their Private vault over to a new Individual account.

Let us know if you have any additional questions and I'll be happy to help out :wink: Enjoy the rest of the day!

This discussion has been closed.