How do I find secret key?

judyedd
judyedd
Community Member

I have a paid account and want to download ipassword to my iPad. I do not know my secret key. Please help

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I need my secret key to download ipassword to my iPad. I have a paid account on a Mac computer.

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @judyedd :)
    There are multiple ways to find your secret key and they are all outlined in this document:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

Take a look through that and let me know if you have any other issues. :)

Cheers,
    Corey

• cindy7
    cindy7
    Community Member

this seems impossible. I'm a subscriber on 1password.com, but to find out the secret key I need to login.... however I need the secret key to login.
    what am I missing?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@cindy7
    You only need the secret key to sign in for the first time on a new device. After that, all you need is your master password when using that device. Your secret key is also on your Emergency Kit which you were given when you first subscribed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @judyedd -- were you able to locate your Secret Key? If so, you should definitely print out a copy of your Emergency Kit and keep it in a secure place. Remember, if you lose your Secret Key, you won't be able to sign into your 1Password account on any new devices unless you copy it from one of your existing devices that's signed into your 1password.com account. And if you aren't signed in on any other devices, your data will be unrecoverable. The best way to avoid that is to keep a "hard" (paper) copy of your Emergency Kit somewhere safe.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cindy7 - You shouldn't need your Secret Key to sign into your 1Password account as long as you're signing in from the same browser on the same computer you've used in the past. Once you sign into your account once from a specific browser or device, your Secret Key should be stored in memory. That would only NOT be the case if you regularly delete local storage/cookies from your browser. Do you have any device available which only requires your Master Password, not both the Master Password and Secret Key?

• cindy7
    cindy7
    Community Member

ok. i have never logged in, but don't have my secret key or emergency kit, because my phone got wiped.
    I have emailed support to try to help reset the account so i get get authorization email again. (since i have no saved items)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cindy7 -- I've replied to you via email; let's keep the conversation going there, if you don't mind.

ref: DPF-24196-372

This discussion has been closed.