Mac disk no longer boots but can scan data - how do transfer to new mac?

Options
nant
nant
Community Member

My mac disk crashed and I could not get i to boot.

I can however extract it and mount it to another mac.

Is there any way I can locate the password file and transfer it?
I do remember the master password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @nant :)
    Oh no, that sounds horrible. Let me see if I can help you. First I need to ask, did you sync your 1Password data any way? Do you have a 1Password.com account or did you use a standalone method like Dropbox or iCloud?

• nant
    nant
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for reply.

Nope, no sync in any way

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, well then, as far as I'm aware, your data backups would stored in the User/Library/Application Support folder, as are most things like that for Mac apps. I don't know if simply copying those over would work, but that's where they appear to be kept to my knowledge.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Corey_C is right about the location, but there are a couple of things to add.

The exact location depends on whether you got 1PW from the App Store or direct from AgileBits. Note that even though you (probably) have 1PW6 the relevant folder will be named 1Password4 not 1Password6. This is because of historical technical reasons.

Also, there are three Library folders on the drive. Since you will be mounting the drive as an external drive on another Mac, the one you want will be under Users/username. On one's main hard drive, the user Library folder is hidden by default.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

Thanks, @danco and @Corey_C -- the actual location of the Backups folder is as follows, @nant:

• 1Password 6 (from the AgileBits store): ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/
    • 1Password (from the Mac App Store): ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

Make sure to choose the most-recent of these, extract it out to your desktop (or wherever), then just open 1Password and follow the prompts under "I've used 1Password before" if you're starting fresh, or if you have an existing 1Password setup on that other Mac, just choose File > Restore and choose the backup you extracted in the previous step. WARNING: this will completely overwrite whatever other 1Password data you have on that other Mac, so make sure you don't need any of that before you restore the backup.

This discussion has been closed.