Third-party integrations

Options
al45tair
al45tair
Community Member

I've seen a couple of old threads about the possibility of a 1Password API on macOS, but nothing recent. Please can I also express a desire for this feature. I note that, in the previous threads on the subject, your staff responded by talking about the need for App Extensions on macOS; these do now exist, but even without them it's reasonably easy to write a server process on the current macOS (you could, for instance, use XPC), and in any event it's clear that you have a mechanism for communicating between the browser plug-in and the 1Password app itself.

What I'd like specifically:

1. When showing a log-in prompt to a user, I'd like to be able to stick a 1Password button on it to let them fetch their credentials from the app.
  2. When showing a sign-up UI to a user, I'd like to be able to pass the chosen credentials to 1Password for storage, and I'd like to be able to put a button on the window to get 1Password to generate a suitable password and fill in the password fields.

Basically the same things you can do from Safari.

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.9
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @al45tair -- thanks for registering your interest in a Mac-focused API. Though I know it may not seem like it sometimes, we are truly grateful for every bit of feedback and every suggestion we receive from users. An API is probably not in the cards right now, just due to the scope of what else is on our plate currently, divided by the number of developer-hours in the day (and yes, that's basically the formula :) ). I'm not saying "definitely not," and not just because I don't make those kind of decisions around here, but also because it WOULD be cool to have, and you're right, the technology is now there, where it wasn't before. I just know the rest of the stuff on the to-do list, and I have to imagine this won't be seeing the light of day anytime in the immediate future, at least. But I will most certainly pass along both your desire and your excellent specific suggestions to our dev team. Thanks for bringing it up!

This discussion has been closed.