Crash of 1Password 6 on OSX functions scrambled

Options
Jimmer
Jimmer
Community Member

I have a regular license for 1PW 6. My 1PW froze up while I was editing a secure note on my Mac Mini running OSX Sierra....emitting a loud "BONGK!" I tried getting back into 1PW but the program would not open/unlock. I shut down my computer and restarted. Luckily, I was able to re-log on to 1PW. BUT, now I no longer have all functions.... My log on and secure passwords are no longer separated; they are all listed in once long list. I am nervous about this, about losing all my pass words and my secure notes.

How can I perhaps start with a clean slate for the 1PW while still re-use my existing data vault?

Is there a way to say save my 1PW data to another computer or store medium, where in the even of another crash I can be sure my data is safe and can be recovered once I have a working copy of 1PW running again?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jimmer! Welcome to the forum! :chuffed:

That all sounds very strange! 1Password for Mac has a couple of different views in it; if you look in the side-bar on the left, up at the top there's an "All Items" view, which is designed to do what you're describing - it shows all of the items in the current vault together, regardless of their type (Login, Password, Secure Note, etc.). Below that in the side-bar, you have separate item categories; clicking on any one of those should just show you the items from that category you have in the current vault (if any).

I hope that helps! If not, let me know and I can reach out to you via email so we can dive into the specifics of your setup a bit more! :+1:

• Jimmer
    Jimmer
    Community Member
    Options

John, You tip is on the mark, and I can't hide my embarrassment at not recognizing that myself..... menu items are now displayed in categories)...thank you!

I am tho, still worried about what seemed like a crash of 1PW. I am running on ver. 10.13 (beta) of High Sierra, perhaps that has something to do with it (but I've never experienced a crash of 1PW in the 8-9 years I've been using the program.).

For a stand-alone licensed 1PW user, is there a safe way to 'save" my data and settings so that if I do have a catastrophic crash I can still work my way back to my passwords and other secure data (other than with a subscription to the membership and its key)?

Thank you very much for your help. Jim

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem @Jimmer, I'm always happy to help - I'm glad it was something simple! :chuffed:

I'm not sure about the issue you experienced; the "BONGK" sound you heard sounds like it might have been one of the default macOS system sounds, but what it may have related to, I can't say.

In terms of 1Password and data integrity, don't worry! 1Password for Mac does lots of things to ensure your data stays safe. For example, whenever you're editing an item, the changes are not written back to the original item until you click the "Save" button, so issues occurring mid-edit won't affect your original data. Also, 1Password for Mac will backup standalone licence vaults on a regular basis; you can open 1Password's preferences and click on the "Backup" tab to view the list of backups 1Password currently has for your data.

With a standalone licence setup, please also be sure to have a backup strategy for your Mac, or at the very least have your 1Password data syncing somewhere else, just to protect against something untoward happening to your Mac. You could also migrate over to an individual subscription account, which will obviate any worry about your 1Password data in the event of a local device failure :+1:

This discussion has been closed.