I found 1PW 3.8.22 and 6.8.1 and moved the former to the trash using Appcleaner. How to backtrack?

Options
wilpercy
wilpercy
Community Member

I assumed two versions were unnecessary and started to clear the old app out. AppCleaner moved 16 files to the trash. Luckily, before emptying the trash I launched version 6.1.8 but found that all my records were in the trash and that I was being invited to set up as a new user. I dragged the files out of the trash. How do I return the files to where they should be? At the moment they are safely stored in a folder on the desktop.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12/6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:How do I return files to the right folders?

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @wilpercy :)
    You mention that you sync your data through dropbox. In that case it would probably be easier to just re-login to your dropbox account in the app and simply re-sync your data that way. Have you tried doing that?

• @wilpercy,

did it move the entire 1Password 4 directory to the trash or did you just end up with a series of files with no hierarchy?

Rudy

• wilpercy
    wilpercy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Corey and Rudy for responding.

I looked in my Dropbox trash and found four files which were deleted several days ago so I'm not sure what's going on there. They look like this:

The files I rescued from the trash on this iMac are in hierarchical folders and look like this.

Perhaps that's the best way to proceed?

• wilpercy
    wilpercy
    Community Member
    Options

Incidentally, all my records are in order when I open 1PW on my iPhone. Can I sync back to the Mac version using them?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wilpercy -- If you're sure your data are intact and correct on your iPhone, then that's likely going to be the best way to do this. The real problem here was AppCleaner -- we recommend users never user such products, as they can often "helpfully" remove far more data than we want them to -- such as your entire data folder. :(

Can you go to Settings > Sync on your iPhone's copy of 1Password, please, and tell me what method you're syncing via on the phone? Thanks. Let us know.

• wilpercy
    wilpercy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the AppCleaner tip.

The iPhone settings say Primary/Dropbox

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wilpercy - OK, great. In that case, rather than trying to tell you how and where to re-place several files in your Library folder, let's reset your 1Password data on your Mac and start as a new user, syncing the data from Dropbox. The only caution to this would be if you had data in vaults on your Mac that were NOT synced via Dropbox -- in which case, stop right here and let us know; do NOT take the preceding step or any of the following steps.

Assuming you've got only the one Primary vault in 1Password, follow these instructions to start over on your Mac. When you re-launch 1Password for Mac, you'll be presented with the new user screen; look towards the bottom and you'll see the "Used 1Password before?" section. Choose the Dropbox option from among the options there, and follow the prompts to select the same sync keychain as your iPhone uses. That should get you back up and running, but let us know if you hit any snags. Good luck!

• wilpercy
    wilpercy
    Community Member
    Options

All appears to be back to normal. Thank you for your guidance, Lars.

Can I now safely erase the folder containing files recovered from the trash moved there by Appcleaner and pictured above?

May I also ask how you erase apps if you avoid ones like Appcleaner? -Just by dragging their icons physically to the trash?

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

May I also ask how you erase apps if you avoid ones like Appcleaner? -Just by dragging their icons physically to the trash?

Dragging to trash is the official way to uninstall most apps on a Mac. A few apps come with an uninstall program. But you will have to refer to the documentation for the individual app as there is no official way to do that.

As you have seen, app cleaners are dangerous and not officially recommended. Their purpose is to get rid of both the app itself and all traces of that app including any associated data. That can sometimes be useful if you know what you're doing. But for most users it's neither needed nor recommended.

• I couldn't have said it better than pervel did. :)

Ben

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This Apple Support article also has information about uninstalling apps on macOS:

macOS Sierra: Install, update, and uninstall apps

I prefer using Launchpad to uninstall apps downloaded from the App Store instead of dragging them to the Trash, although the latter does work if that's how you want to do it. :)

• wilpercy
    wilpercy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for all the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome! Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.