Can't add PDF document to newly created login

cappy
cappy
Community Member
edited September 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, 1PW 6.7.457

I've just created a login for a website, and would like to attach a PDF file to that login.
There is no add button and drag and drop does not work.

How do I attach a PDF file to a login entry?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit
Sync Type: Membership

Comments

• Hey @cappy! 1Password memberships use related items rather than attachments and creating new related item links isn't yet supported on Windows (but we're working on it!). That said, you can do this on 1Password for Mac and the links will sync to Windows. If you have a Mac handy, rather than directly attaching documents to login or other items, you'll want to create a document item for that PDF. You'll then go back to the login item you want it to be linked to, edit the item and add the document item as a related item. :+1:

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

"you'll want to create a document item for that PDF. You'll then go back to the login item you want it to be linked to, edit the item and add the document item as a related item. "

You've got to be kidding me? Who came up with htis idea?
    I don't want to create two entries every time I need to attach an invoice. What happened to attaching PDFs??
    I've done this so many times, I can't believe the developers came up with this idea.

• @cappy: Document items provide more flexibility than attachments in that you don't have to attach the document to another item, you can instead save it all by itself, if you'd like. In truth, I'm not sure myself of what initially prompted the change, but I can say that your view of this isn't uncommon for folks coming from the standalone model. Ultimately, documents do a great job of providing a way to store documents in 1Password on their own, but the process of creating a new "attachment" is less seamless than it was. :unamused:

That said, this flexibility does bring with it some additional options beyond related items. If you can tell me more about what your end goal is here, I might be able to help out with a better method. Personally, I save invoices by themselves and use tags to group like invoices rather than relating them to any given item, but I understand you may have a different end-goal here. All the same, I'd love to hear what you're aiming for to see if we can help. :chuffed:

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

": Document items provide more flexibility than attachments in that you don't have to attach the document to another item, "
    That's fine, IF you need to refer to 1 document from other entries.

I have an invoice that ONLY pertains to the login for 1 website, and I only need that document associated with that 1 entry.

"All the same, I'd love to hear what you're aiming for to see if we can help. :chuffed:"
    I just want to attach a PDF to the login entry. period. 1PW had this feature for a long time, and it was jus tfine. The developers REALLY need to check with the customers before doing things like this.

• @cappy: In that case, related items likely are your best bet. As you can see in my screenshot below, the net effect is similar to attachments, once set up. The name of the related item is a link that will take you to the document item and allow you to download it, so there's an extra click involved, but otherwise rather similar, in my opinion anyway.

Of course, I still totally understand that the old way worked better in your case, so I'll absolutely pass along your feedback to the team. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.