need to restart family conversion

Options
ShadowDad
ShadowDad
Community Member

i thought i had written down my 'master password' for 1password.com family account, but nothing i type in works and i can't remember it (my bad). i got started on this a couple weeks back and got interrupted. so now i would like to start over

i still have my local vault so no data lost. how do i restart?

thx

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ShadowDad: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear that! I'm glad that you have all of your original data though. I've sent instructions on how to delete your account via email, so you can start over. Be sure to save your Emergency Kit and Master Password in the future in case you need it. And if you setup another family member as an Organizer, they will be able to help you recover your account even if you lose that. Cheers! :)

• ShadowDad
    ShadowDad
    Community Member
    Options

ok this is really weird. i deleted the account. i re-created the account. i imported the old data. in the dialog "You are about to delete 532 items..." it asks to enter the new Master Password. which i wrote down and verified visually at creation carefully i tried it typing very carefully multiple times, no caps lock key on...
    version 6.80015
    mac 10.11.6

thoughts?

• ShadowDad
    ShadowDad
    Community Member
    Options

one of the benefits of Family account is live support how do i access this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ShadowDad: You're doing it right now, here in the support forum. This is "one-on-one support from AgileBits employees whenever you need it. We're here to help you at any time of day or night." You can also contact us via email if you prefer that. :)

Can you elaborate on what you're trying to do? Originally it sounded like you wanted to delete your account and start over. That's why you were prompted to delete the data. We don't want anyone to do this accidentally. Have you completed that, and then signed up for a new account?

• ShadowDad
    ShadowDad
    Community Member
    Options

i figured it. the language used to identify which password is required where could be improved a ton.... Account Password and Master Password appear to be used interchangeably, confusing....

i have now removed the V6 vault and only have one copy of each of the items. i need to clean up things,

Question

is the " 6-12 months old" designation mean not used in 6 months ?? (hopefully nothing to do with when created)

• ShadowDad
    ShadowDad
    Community Member
    Options

on support, it would be nice for monthly payers ie Family or Team to have real time chat so there is the many hour delay between posting and answering

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

i figured it. the language used to identify which password is required where could be improved a ton.... Account Password and Master Password appear to be used interchangeably, confusing....

@ShadowDad: Sorry for the confusion there! Your 1Password account only has a single password — the Master Password you set for it — and the Secret Key. Can you tell me where you saw this referred to differently? As far as I'm aware, we always refer to it as the Master Password.

i have now removed the V6 vault and only have one copy of each of the items. i need to clean up things,

Or maybe you mean you had set a different Master Password for a local vault you were using previously. I can see how that would be confusing, but I'm not sure we can (or should) prevent people from doing that if they want to.

Question
    is the " 6-12 months old" designation mean not used in 6 months ?? (hopefully nothing to do with when created)

Are you referring to Security Audit in 1Password for Mac? It's based on age, not frequency of use (but you can change the sort type at the top). If it isn't being used at all, I'm not sure how changing the password would be beneficial — especially if there's already a long, strong, randomly-generated password there.

on support, it would be nice for monthly payers ie Family or Team to have real time chat so there is the many hour delay between posting and answering

You're right, it isn't instantaneous. We try to reply to everyone on a first-come-first-served basis. I think that's fair. But it does complicate things when posting multiple times in succession, as that will bump you to "most recent" again. But we're always here to help and will get back to you as soon as we've responded to others waiting before you if you need anything. Cheers! :)

• ShadowDad
    ShadowDad
    Community Member
    Options

to issue #1 above. when disconnecting an old standalone vault from a family account the dialog should ask for the Vault Password, in my case i created a new Master Password when creating the family account different from the vault. thus the confusion. The product encourages longer more distinguished master passwords so the chances of having differing passwords are significant.

on issue #2, i have 500+ items, many of which are no longer valid. the best predictor of a "dead password" in not being used. thus having the security audit help me filter out passwords by time last used would be MUCH more useful then when the password was created. creation date is not a predictor of likely validity, but usage can be. if there is another tool that i should be using, let me know.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

to issue #1 above. when disconnecting an old standalone vault from a family account the dialog should ask for the Vault Password, in my case i created a new Master Password when creating the family account different from the vault. thus the confusion. The product encourages longer more distinguished master passwords so the chances of having differing passwords are significant.

@ShadowDad: I hear you. We suggest to people that they use the same Master Password if it's a good one to avoid confusion, but it is a good opportunity to choose a stronger one. Ultimately it's up to the individual, as there's no definitive solution that will be best for everyone. It's a judgement call on your part.

on issue #2, i have 500+ items, many of which are no longer valid. the best predictor of a "dead password" in not being used. thus having the security audit help me filter out passwords by time last used would be MUCH more useful then when the password was created. creation date is not a predictor of likely validity, but usage can be. if there is another tool that i should be using, let me know.

As I mentioned above, you can sort the Security Audit list by a number of criteria. This includes "date last used" and "frequency used". I hope that helps! :)

• ShadowDad
    ShadowDad
    Community Member
    Options

on #1, all i am suggesting is when you the product is asking for the Vault password, it ask for the Vault password and when you are looking for the Account Password you ask for the Account password. the same language is used in the two different dialogs, when merging a standalone valult into a family vault. if someone has only one password they will enter it as it is the only one they know. in the case of different passwords they have to "discover" which password is being requested, i am a moderately experienced user and it tripped me up.

on #2, this is good news. the functionality took me 5 minutes of poking around to find. it should be a preference this is super valuable functionality and you want it to be discoverable.under audit not at the top of the results column...

on 2+, seems like having the creation date of the password be the high order bit is odd. it is also odd that i select sort by last used and if i pick a different creation window 1-3 years old after viewing 3+ if "forgets" that i want to see by date last used

on 2++ it also seems like there is NO data on last used login except for one i used in the current session, is this expected? will this infor start getting collected now that i have chosen the option once?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

on #1, all i am suggesting is when you the product is asking for the Vault password, it ask for the Vault password and when you are looking for the Account Password you ask for the Account password. the same language is used in the two different dialogs, when merging a standalone valult into a family vault. if someone has only one password they will enter it as it is the only one they know. in the case of different passwords they have to "discover" which password is being requested, i am a moderately experienced user and it tripped me up.

@ShadowDad: Arguably if the user has set more than one Master Password for different things (vaults, accounts) over time, they'll know that. And it's more likely that they will be aware of this than 1Password. All 1Password knows is whether the Master Password entered successfully decrypts the database or not.

on #2, this is good news. the functionality took me 5 minutes of poking around to find. it should be a preference this is super valuable functionality and you want it to be discoverable.under audit not at the top of the results column...

That's where the search box is, and where the sort options can be accessed in other contexts as well, so I don't think it would be a good idea to move it around just for this specific case.

on 2+, seems like having the creation date of the password be the high order bit is odd. it is also odd that i select sort by last used and if i pick a different creation window 1-3 years old after viewing 3+ if "forgets" that i want to see by date last used

I guess it's a matter of personal preference. For the most part, others seem to find this useful, but it's certainly something we'll continue to evaluate as we develop future versions — especially since we'd like to make some other changes to Security Audit in general to make it more useful.

on 2++ it also seems like there is NO data on last used login except for one i used in the current session, is this expected? will this infor start getting collected now that i have chosen the option once?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you give an example?

• ShadowDad
    ShadowDad
    Community Member
    Options

So i select in the lower left pane under Security Audit. 1-3 years old
    i then further select sort by Date Last Used under the search box

i see listed below the search box

4 hours ago
    a log in i used
    7 hours ago
    a different log in i used

Not Available
    every one of the 88 items that fall into the creation range 1 to 3 years

this leads me to believe that the last used data is not regularly collected, so for many logins this capability doesn't really tell/help me much. this implies that maybe going forward this info will be kept, or maybe it was started to be collected sometime in the last year (since so many login's don't seem to have any information collected about them although i see log in that i know i have used in the last week in the list with Not Available

i admittedly have a lot of "cruff" in my vault.
    last time used (if in fact it has been recorded) would be super useful to find dead logins that i can delete

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ShadowDad: Ah, thanks for clarifying. You raise an interesting issue. It isn't just you. I've got a lot of old stuff too. Generally speaking "Not Available" is going to mean one of a few things:

• You've never filled it with the browser extension
    • You filled it using an older version of 1Password which didn't track this
    • You filled it using the mobile app (which doesn't have this capability)

Definitely something we'll continue to improve, but no matter what it cannot be retroactive unfortunately. :(

• ShadowDad
    ShadowDad
    Community Member
    Options

To add to the bug report.

the log in that i notice is missing last use was filled in from the browser extension.

i am using V6 standalone? <---- maybe this is the reason on all machines except the one i have upgraded to Family that i am experimenting on

• @ShadowDad: Standalone vs. 1Password membership shouldn't make a difference in functions shared between the two. Not that I'm certain by any means that this is the cause of your issue, but I saw in a different thread that you're using an older version of the Mac app, so it's always possible you'll see some improvement with updating. Perhaps try filling the login again after updating and see if it gets a last used date? Let us know what you find out. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.