To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Extension not working and asking me for a new profile

Options
Robertbelt
Robertbelt
Community Member

Hi there,

My chrome browser extension suddenly switched off while interacting with a sensitive website (Bittrex). It's still showing (not greyed out) but when clicking nothing happens.

When I then try to login to the 1password software (running on my deskop) it gives me an error message (see screenshots).
1. indication an error occurred.
2. asking me to create a new profile.

But felt pretty suspicious to me, so I logged into 1password.com to change my master password. I changed it, but it's not reflecting in the software yet.

I have manually logged back into the website I was dealing with (bittrex) and relocated all the funds that where on here, just to be extra safe.

But; could you guys look into this asap and let me know if this is a standard error? If not, please let me know how to proceed.

NB: ofcourse I'm extra suspiscous because this happened directly after interacting with Bittrex.

Hope to hear from you guys asap.

Regards,
Robert

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Robertbelt: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The "New Profile" prompt is not from 1Password. It could be anything, but it looks like it may be for a mail client. Perhaps you haven't set it up, and the website is triggering a mailto: for some reason. Definitely seems weird, but I'm not certain how this is related to 1Password. So I suspect the 1Password crash may be unrelated. However, unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, I'm not seeing how to get to where you're encountering this issue. Can you clarify? Thanks in advance! :)

• Robertbelt
    Robertbelt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,

Thanks for the reply. It's really weird but all seems to working again now. The extension is opening as normal again and I don't get the error message anymore when I open up the desktop software.

About the "where" I got this message: both appeared when I logged into 1password desktop software. Both messages came after each other; so after "send error report" in the first popup, directly after the "create new profile" popped up. So definitely trigged by the error in 1password.

The extra information:
    Chrome 4.6.11.91
    version 4.6.2.626

I do hope you guys can explain what happened here. It still feels a bit fishy to me: especially the "create new user"; don't like when things with this kind of software can't be explained.

Thanks!
    Robert

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Robertbelt: Ah, that explains it! I wasn't certain of the steps you took leading up to that, but it was an educated guess. When there's a crash, 1Password will attempt to send the report, and that's why you were getting prompted by the mail client to create a profile (to email it). Thanks for clearing that up (which also allowed me to) and be sure to let me know if you have any other questions, or run into any further trouble. :)

• Robertbelt
    Robertbelt
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thank so much and a great relief to know there isn't anything weird going.

Compliments for the quick and clear feedback. First time I reached out to support after being a happy customer for a couple of years (don't even know how long exactly ;)

Good to know that there is such a good support available at your company; I'll spread the word!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you so much for your support, and the kind words! We wouldn't be here without you and the rest of our awesome customers, so we're always happy to help. You know where to find us if you need anything else! :chuffed:

• Robertbelt
    Robertbelt
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty. aaaaaand we're back.

Getting another error, but this time specified and afterwards the send to option - see screenshots. I tried to de install and install the extension but this doesn't seem to fix it..

After logging into https://my.1password.com I think this is where the problem may come from. It's showing me the 12 logins that are also showing on my work laptop and its telling me that this is my "Personal" vault (and the only one showing here).

On my personal laptop all the logins are showing in both extension and the software (188). This has always been my first and primary account (I've installed 1password on my work laptop about 6 months ago).

Any thought if the error and the 2 seperate accounts are linked?

Also: ideally I would like to have 1 account (ofcourse). How do I get the my original account showing on both my work laptop and in the https://my.1password.com environnement?

Thanks,
    Robert

• Robertbelt
    Robertbelt
    Community Member
    Options

Extra comment: I just noticed that the Master password for https://my.1password.com is different from the password I'm using for the extension and the software on my home computer. I would think these would be the same?

• @Robertbelt: You're using 1Password 4 on the home computer, which only works with standalone vaults (not 1Password.com) and I suspect you're using 1Password 6 (and thus 1Password.com) at work leading to these discrepancies. If you'd like to get everything in one place, here's what I'd do:

1. Install 1Password 6 at home and sign in to your account.
    2. Import your Agile Keychain or OPVault from 1Password 4. If those 12 items in account are duplicates of what you see at home, you can delete them (Select the item and press Ctrl + Del -- you can select multiple items with Ctrl + Left click) if you'd like to avoid duplicates in your vault.
    3. Once you're sure everything has imported properly (you can sign in via https://my.1password.com to be sure), uninstall 1Password 4.
    4. Unlock 1Password 6 and make sure Enable native messaging for Firefox and Enable native messaging for Chrome are checked. Check them and restart your browsers if they're not. This will make sure the extension works properly with 1Password 6.

This will get everything into your 1Password account, make sure you have access to all of your items across devices and (hopefully) put an end to your troubles with the extension. :chuffed: :+1:

• Robertbelt
    Robertbelt
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Thanks for your help.. it looks like this did the trick.

But... Pfff. this sure is (hopefully "was") a hassle; someone who is isn't tech savy would definitely freak out with an instruction like this. Don't think you want that when you are in the user-friendly business..

Anyways; I'm happy again and I hope everything works nicely now.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update and the feedback @Robertbelt! :)

Ben

• Robertbelt
    Robertbelt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys,

It looks like its ok now, but 2 remaining questions:

• for work computer, home computer, tablet and phone I've now switched to the 1password vault. Does this mean I don't need Dropbox on these devices anymore (1password is the only reason why I have a Dropbox account)?
    • on my Android tablet (Samsung galaxy tab 2) there are still 2 vaults showing; a primairy and personal one. I have already ticket off the option "sync with dropbox" in the settings but still showing. Is there a way to remove this primairy vault?

Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Robertbelt - you're right, if that's the only thing you were using a Dropbox account for, then you can certainly remove it on any devices on which you no longer use Dropbox as your sync method in 1Password.

On Android, the way to go about that, I'm afraid, will be simply deleting, then re-installing 1Password for Android and signing in with the new 1Password account details at the initial welcome screen. This should leave you with only your Personal vault. Good luck, and let us know if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.