To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

unable to move set up 1Password on second computer

Options
stlevin
stlevin
Community Member

I purchased 1P in 2013 from the Mac App store. I am running version 6.8.1 (Mac Store).

I'm trying to install 1Password on my back up Macbook (#2) and cannot find my secret key or setup code to save my life. I am running 1Password on my current Macbook (#1) but apparently I'm not signed in, so I can't set it up to sync via iCloud or Dropbox, and I can't sign in on Macbook #1 because ...I don't have my setup code. I feel like I'm caught in a loop.....

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: 10.12.6 (16G29)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi there @stlevin :)
    You will only have a Secret Key or Setup Code if you have a 1Password.com membership account, which I don't believe you do from your description. With standalone syncing methods, your Master Password should be sufficient to unlock your vault. If you unlock your vault on your main computer, you should be able to set up iCloud or Dropbox syncing and then sign in to those on your backup computer in order to skip the account login step.

Of course, not having to deal with setting up syncing yourself is one of the many benefits of having a 1Password membership, so it may be something you are interested in pursuing.

Can you not open your 1Password vault on your main computer?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stlevin: Definitely make sure you setup sync on the main Mac first, and then when you setup 1Password on the backup you can simply choose "Used 1Password before?" to sync the data from there:

Sync your 1Password data

1Password.com is the best option, since it doesn't require any configuration — you simply sign in to your account to access your data — but it isn't the only one. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• stlevin
    stlevin
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, guys. But it's not working, I have sync set up on my main Mac. When I load 1Password on my other mac, I get a menu that says "Used 1Password before?' but when I click on 'sync using iCloud' (or 'sync using Dropbox') absolutely nothing happens.

• stlevin
    stlevin
    Community Member
    Options

TBH I'm having other problems with this machine. So maybe not a 1Password thing!

• @stlevin: It sounds to me like you're doing things properly here, so my best guess without taking a closer look would be that iCloud isn't properly set up on the new Mac (if you're using iCloud to sync) or Dropbox isn't installed and set up. You can find troubleshooting guides for each sync method on our support site:

iCloud

Dropbox

That said, if there were a setup problem, I'd expect an error to be thrown rather than for nothing to happen at all. Could you elaborate on the other issues you're having with the new Mac? We may at least have some thoughts on whether these issues are symptomatic of problems that may cause trouble with 1Password as well. :+1:

• stlevin
    stlevin
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, bundtkate. I do suspect an iCloud problem because the other thing that's not working right is iMessage. When I try to log into iMessage I get a verification error. I tried logging into iCloud via my browser and that worked, but didn't help. I'm going to have to do some more sleuthing.

The thing that's weird is I would expect that the Dropbox method wouldn't be affected by that, but again, when I click 'sync with Dropbox' nothing happens.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stlevin -- yeah, that's sounding more and more like a problem that's significantly larger than just 1Password's iCloud sync. I hope it doesn't involve anything too radical, like a re-install of macOS. Let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you, and good luck!

This discussion has been closed.